The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstance academic appeal (final year)

Hi all, just looking for some advice.
I lost my older sibling the night before my final exam. This in turn affected how I performed. I was trying to find normalcy amongst the chaos that was happening at the time. I had got in touch with my tutor, but at that point it was too late to self-certify.
The only evidence I have is her death certificate as no professionals were contacted as regards as bereavement services etc (She was based in a different country).
My tutor says that this will be enough to appeal (to at least resit the exam or even be awarded the higher classification- the affected module is 4 marks from the higher classification (3%).
I personally think that my evidence is weak, but I'm being encouraged to submit the appeal, even by student advice provided by the SU.
Do you think it is worth it ? Many thanks in advance
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by wrhu14vp
Hi all, just looking for some advice.
I lost my older sibling the night before my final exam. This in turn affected how I performed. I was trying to find normalcy amongst the chaos that was happening at the time. I had got in touch with my tutor, but at that point it was too late to self-certify.
The only evidence I have is her birth certificate as no professionals were contacted as regards as bereavement services etc (She was based in a different country).
My tutor says that this will be enough to appeal (to at least resit the exam or even be awarded the higher classification- the affected module is 4 marks from the higher classification (3%).
I personally think that my evidence is weak, but I'm being encouraged to submit the appeal, even by student advice provided by the SU.
Do you think it is worth it ? Many thanks in advance

I'm sorry for your loss. In the UK, deaths are certified and a death certificate is the normal document that has to be provided in these circumstances. Are you able to get any similar formal documentation, evidence of a notice in the newspaper, a funeral order of service card, certification from the hospital. Sometimes it's really difficult to have to be so practical in a time like this, but it is worth it if you can deal with the bereavement alone, and not with the 'wrong' degree result as well.
Reply 2
Try your best to get some sort of confirmation as per the above post. I know it seems callous, but it will help your case tremendously.

Very sorry for your loss, and I hope the appeal goes through.
Reply 3
Thank you both for your condolences, I aprreciate it. I have just realised my mistake now, I meant to say death certificate, instead of birth. I had it translated by a certified translation too. I'm sorry again for the confusion, I will try and change it. Will the death cert itself be enough? Thank you again

Original post by threeportdrift
I'm sorry for your loss. In the UK, deaths are certified and a death certificate is the normal document that has to be provided in these circumstances. Are you able to get any similar formal documentation, evidence of a notice in the newspaper, a funeral order of service card, certification from the hospital. Sometimes it's really difficult to have to be so practical in a time like this, but it is worth it if you can deal with the bereavement alone, and not with the 'wrong' degree result as well.

Original post by gjd800
Try your best to get some sort of confirmation as per the above post. I know it seems callous, but it will help your case tremendously.

Very sorry for your loss, and I hope the appeal goes through.
Reply 4
Thank you both for your condolences, I aprreciate it. I have just realised my mistake now, I meant to say death certificate, instead of birth. I had it translated by a certified translation too. I'm sorry again for the confusion, I will try and change it. Will the death cert itself be enough? Thank you again

Yes, it should be enough (it would have been enough in the places I worked). Hopefully this all goes through without complication for you now :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
Yes, it should be enough (it would have been enough in the places I worked). Hopefully this all goes through without complication for you now :smile:

Thank you very much, I am very appreciative

As above, a death certificate is enough.
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
As above, a death certificate is enough.

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending