The Student Room Group

why is the UK's weather being so crap lately?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jshster
idk maybe because its the uk

amen to that - we stan being known as a rainy country
Original post by hannahd0236
we stan being rainy all the time

yh
it's the uk what do you expect 😂😂
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah a lot of things got triggered early, esp as we had pretty much nothing in the way of a late frost.....or even an 'appropriate time' frost. So lots of things that would normally be killed off early have survived to compete with the later season stuff and it's all a bit messy. You'll see plenty of plants putting out just one or two really impressive but off season flowers this year instead of full bloom as their senescence hormones are all screwy.

Out of curiosity, do you know any plants that may deter wasps that have been able to compete this year? I have only seen two, but perhaps it’s the lack of food waste and it being too cold for this time in the year? The bee population has been booming where I live, with two brand new species as well (it’s too early to see how badly competition will affect the Buff-tailed bumblebee). Usually wasps prey on bees, so it is quite bizarre? Your right, the ecosystem sure is going berserk in the UK right now :laugh:
Original post by rxyaltyx
yh
it's the uk what do you expect 😂😂

i want it to be hot all the time but you can dream and people here would constantly moan about it sooooo
it's okay :h: awwwwww what puppy do you have?

A lil Shih Tzu (no jokes please 😅) and another 3 year old. I can tag you into a pic so you can see ☺️
Original post by Moonbow
A lil Shih Tzu (no jokes please 😅) and another 3 year old. I can tag you into a pic so you can see ☺️

hahahaha of course not! and awwwww omg that's so lovely!!!!!! awwwww yes please, i wanna see their precious lil faces :h::h:
i want it to be hot all the time but you can dream and people here would constantly moan about it sooooo

when it's cold and rainy, we complain
when it's super hot, we complain
🤷*♀️
when it's cold and rainy, we complain
when it's super hot, we complain
🤷*♀️

we can't win - i remember that really hot day we had towards the end of june and omds people were hysterical
Reply 28
we always be complaining
Original post by Jshster
we always be complaining

it's what we do best - if we didn't complain what would we be doing with our lives
we can't win - i remember that really hot day we had towards the end of june and omds people were hysterical

i was too it was boilinggg
i was too it was boilinggg

literally, like i have the hottest room in my house and i was suffering :frown: i had to have my fan on the highest setting
Original post by Moonbow
Out of curiosity, do you know any plants that may deter wasps that have been able to compete this year? I have only seen two, but perhaps it’s the lack of food waste and it being too cold for this time in the year? The bee population has been booming where I live, with two brand new species as well (it’s too early to see how badly competition will affect the Buff-tailed bumblebee). Usually wasps prey on bees, so it is quite bizarre? Your right, the ecosystem sure is going berserk in the UK right now :laugh:

Yeah there's plenty of plants about that wasps don't like, they hate many strong smelling herbs like mint, thyme, rosemary ect, which coincidentally lots of people have taken to growing at home for something to do during lockdown (I literally spent the last 2 days building herb gardens for people) They're not a fan of common things like geraniums or marigolds either, and a ot of them have gone uncut this year.

Wasps kind of go through two feeding phases, the first where they're after nest building stuff, the second where they're after sugars, so again, the weird plant succession will have confused that a bit too likely.

the bee's seem pretty happy though, normally they come out too early and late frost nabs most of them, but they got a mulligan this year.
literally, like i have the hottest room in my house and i was suffering :frown: i had to have my fan on the highest setting

yes my room gets so hot idk why
its the UK it ahs Rezarted weather
yes my room gets so hot idk why

it's literally the worst thing! a fan doesn't really help me and i don't want to open my windows in case mozzies come in and bite me lol
Original post by Chocolatecakexx
its the UK it ahs Rezarted weather

yes the uk does have ******ed weather, can't argue with that one. it's that ******ed, we have hail in summer sometimes
I think the question should be 'why was it so good for a while'...

Quick Reply

Latest