The Student Room Group

Concerning retroactive student financing and applying later during the course

Hi,

I'm starting uni this October but am planning on financing the tuition fees for the first year of university myself.

Is it possible to apply only for my second and third year of uni - and thus to wait until next year before applying for student finance to cover the last years?

And if I wait up to 9 months before applying after the start of my term year, does the tuition fee loan cover those 9 months of tuition as well?

Thank you
Original post by MaseBlaze
Hi,

I'm starting uni this October but am planning on financing the tuition fees for the first year of university myself.

Is it possible to apply only for my second and third year of uni - and thus to wait until next year before applying for student finance to cover the last years?

And if I wait up to 9 months before applying after the start of my term year, does the tuition fee loan cover those 9 months of tuition as well?

Thank you

Hi, I will answer your questions in order.

1. Yes it's possible, but your eligibility for finance is determined from the first day of the first academic year of your course, so you will only be eligible for funding in your second year if you are eligible from your first year.

2. I don't understand this question, you said you are self funding the first year, do you need 9 months of fees covered?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, I will answer your questions in order.

1. Yes it's possible, but your eligibility for finance is determined from the first day of the first academic year of your course, so you will only be eligible for funding in your second year if you are eligible from your first year.

2. I don't understand this question, you said you are self funding the first year, do you need 9 months of fees covered?
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

I can see that the second question wasn't worded correctly. I meant to ask the question in reference to funding in my second and third years. It is stated on the student finance website that "you can still apply for funding up to 9 months after the first day of the academic year for your course". So if I apply 6 months after starting my second year, can I get the first 6 months of that year covered as well, or is it just the remainder of the academic year?

Thank you
Thank you very much for your quick answer.

I can see that the second question wasn't worded correctly. I meant to ask the question in reference to funding in my second and third years. It is stated on the student finance website that "you can still apply for funding up to 9 months after the first day of the academic year for your course". So if I apply 6 months after starting my second year, can I get the first 6 months of that year covered as well, or is it just the remainder of the academic year?

Thank you

You can do this. However if for example you start in September and only apply for a tuition fee in February the year afterwards then I don't expect the university to be happy about that as the payment would be very late, they sometimes suspend students if the payment is late. So we don't recommend applying late. We always advise applying as soon as possible.

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Perfect! Thank you very much
Perfect! Thank you very much

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending