The Student Room Group

Uni of Glasgow vs Uni of Strathclyde

Hi! I am currently trying to decide between a med science based masters at Strathclyde or Glasgow. Glasgow seems to overall have a better rep, and i much prefer the aesthetics. But Strathy is better ranked in terms of science (6th in UK).
Any help on deciding? (I think most importantly i would want best in terms of future employability prospects)
Glasgow or Strathclyde; surely not a valid question? I would say that unless the course at Strathclyde is particularly appealing to you, it'd have to be Glasgow everytime due to their reputation (both domestic and international) and history.

Rankings, even of subjects, tend to vary widely from one year to another, but reputation takes a long time to build up. Or as they might say; form is temporary, class is permanent (ish!).
Reply 2
Are you able to visit the unis? Do you prefer one course over the other?
Both universities are very good - Glasgow is indeed a little more reputable (if you care about such things...)
Original post by chaotic1328
Glasgow or Strathclyde; surely not a valid question? I would say that unless the course at Strathclyde is particularly appealing to you, it'd have to be Glasgow everytime due to their reputation (both domestic and international) and history.

Rankings, even of subjects, tend to vary widely from one year to another, but reputation takes a long time to build up. Or as they might say; form is temporary, class is permanent (ish!).

Starthclyde's reputation in the topics it does cover tend to be very good and usually better than Glasgow, and it has the better industrial links of the two hence why startups and catapults tend to be based near Strath rather than in the West End. Even if we're talking about international rankings, which generally are better indicators of long term reputation, Strathclyde is catching up in these areas.

That said, Glasgow is better for medical science and related, Strathclyde is more for the medical technology side.
Original post by Peewee4172
Hi! I am currently trying to decide between a med science based masters at Strathclyde or Glasgow. Glasgow seems to overall have a better rep, and i much prefer the aesthetics. But Strathy is better ranked in terms of science (6th in UK).
Any help on deciding? (I think most importantly i would want best in terms of future employability prospects)

look carefully at the content of both courses. Glasgow is a great city and both are top universities so you cannot go wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest