The Student Room Group

Year 11 advice

Hey, I'm going into year 11 in September and I would really appreciate any advice in revision.
My subjects:
Triple science , English lit and Lang , maths , further maths , french , history and religious studies.
Thanks to anyone who replies in advance. 😊
Original post by FatmaR:)
Hey, I'm going into year 11 in September and I would really appreciate any advice in revision.
My subjects:
Triple science , English lit and Lang , maths , further maths , french , history and religious studies.

Hi I did some of your subjects last year! For triple science I recommend memorising content using flashcards, then doing all the exam questions you can find, maybe have a set day every week where you go through your flashcards just to keep them ticking over. For English I recommend annotating different themes, characters, poems... and memorising your best annotations to use in the exam, also for English practising questions in important to learn how to write and annotate on the spot. You can find loads of writing prompts online for practising the creative writing. For maths I recommend doing all the past papers and questions you can find, literally all of them. For RE just make sure you know your definitions and do essay practise, if it takes to long to practise full essays maybe practise essay planning instead. For French I recommend memorise and just learning as much vocab as possible, try to go over all your grammar and practise writing and speaking so you can know how to use the vocab in the exam. Haha basically lot's of practise as for GCSEs applying information is important. Good luck :smile:
My subjects:

Science: Flashcards, Seneca, Freesciencelessons
English: Have a glossary terms bank, practice writing essays, make mindmaps for characters, themes etc, also helps doing that for poetry
RS: Remember parables, highlight key dates and definitions, be careful with timing
History: Depending on your exam board i can recommend you a revision guide which saved me from failing my history mocks. Make sure you know how to write a history essay. For power and monarchy, it helped me to make a mindmap of each era
Maths: Memorise formulas
French: I dropped French in Y9 and changed to Latin, but my friends always practiced memorising vocab
Original post by fr3g
Hi I did some of your subjects last year! For triple science I recommend memorising content using flashcards, then doing all the exam questions you can find, maybe have a set day every week where you go through your flashcards just to keep them ticking over. For English I recommend annotating different themes, characters, poems... and memorising your best annotations to use in the exam, also for English practising questions in important to learn how to write and annotate on the spot. You can find loads of writing prompts online for practising the creative writing. For maths I recommend doing all the past papers and questions you can find, literally all of them. For RE just make sure you know your definitions and do essay practise, if it takes to long to practise full essays maybe practise essay planning instead. For French I recommend memorise and just learning as much vocab as possible, try to go over all your grammar and practise writing and speaking so you can know how to use the vocab in the exam. Haha basically lot's of practise as for GCSEs applying information is important. Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much this is very useful 😊
Original post by REDDINGZ
Science: Flashcards, Seneca, Freesciencelessons
English: Have a glossary terms bank, practice writing essays, make mindmaps for characters, themes etc, also helps doing that for poetry
RS: Remember parables, highlight key dates and definitions, be careful with timing
History: Depending on your exam board i can recommend you a revision guide which saved me from failing my history mocks. Make sure you know how to write a history essay. For power and monarchy, it helped me to make a mindmap of each era
Maths: Memorise formulas
French: I dropped French in Y9 and changed to Latin, but my friends always practiced memorising vocab

Thank you so much and I do Edexcel history 😊
im going into yr11 to but for english it may help u if u remember quotes for the 'pucture' they have in them. for example christmas carol i wear the chains i firged in life the picture in the would be wearing chains like u can imagine it right see the picture in ur head. it helps me a bit.macbeth im gonna go over in september but i know the quote refferences seeing daggers and the bell i think its the bell invites me i hear it callimg sometging like that but it might help u
history keeo to set structure i do aqa and we do peel (point evidence explantion and link back).if u hv structure nailed all it is is remembering key information such as for example 1923 nov in germany bread cost 300 million marks due to hyperinflation.or 1066 being the yr william the conqueror became king. thats it practice questions constantly
Original post by X.243llie
im going into yr11 to but for english it may help u if u remember quotes for the 'pucture' they have in them. for example christmas carol i wear the chains i firged in life the picture in the would be wearing chains like u can imagine it right see the picture in ur head. it helps me a bit.macbeth im gonna go over in september but i know the quote refferences seeing daggers and the bell i think its the bell invites me i hear it callimg sometging like that but it might help u

I don't do Christmas Carol or Macbeth but I'll try the method out. Thank you!
Original post by X.243llie
history keeo to set structure i do aqa and we do peel (point evidence explantion and link back).if u hv structure nailed all it is is remembering key information such as for example 1923 nov in germany bread cost 300 million marks due to hyperinflation.or 1066 being the yr william the conqueror became king. thats it practice questions constantly

Thank you!!
Thank you so much and I do Edexcel history 😊

I was with OCR but i checked and they cover Edexcel too. Its called "My revision notes" and on Amazon you can get them secondhand in great condition (unless its changed bc of covid). Its got practice questions and example answers too
Original post by REDDINGZ
I was with OCR but i checked and they cover Edexcel too. Its called "My revision notes" and on Amazon you can get them secondhand in great condition (unless its changed bc of covid). Its got practice questions and example answers too

Thanks once again I'll check it out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending