The Student Room Group

A Level 2020 unfair grades

I was holding an offer for Medicine at uni starting this year but I didn't meet the grades for the offer. My school have downgraded me, so my results weren't anything I was expecting. School are saying this because in my mocks, I got ABBB, and that's the same grades I was given today. However, my mocks were a one-off; throughout the two years (both before and after mocks) I have been consistently scoring A/A*. Furthermore, I have extenuating circumstances for my mocks. A lot of people in my year were upgraded heavily from their mocks - one person got ADE in their mocks, and my school gave them A*AB. Whereas my grades have been entirely based on these one set of mocks.

I want to appeal this to someone higher, because I've been unfairly given grades that has purposefully pushed me back a year, even might have to retake my exams. Other people in my year who did a lot worse than me all year round have gotten grades higher than me. I don't know why my school has done this, but it is clear there is some institutional bias.

Who would I contact to take this up further? Would it be the exam boards? OFQUAL?

Also, is it okay to name students - for example, the person who went from ADE to A*AB in the email, or keep it anonymous?

Thank you. :smile:
First of all, it is better to keep it anonymous. Like you, I am in a similar position where I deserved an A/B for History but received a U. The best thing is to appeal and talk with your teachers to see if it is possible. This should take place ASAP. If you believe there was a level of bias towards anyone or any discrimination as such towards you, you can use that for your appeal process.

Fingers crossed it works for both of us
Original post by xalevelstudentx
I was holding an offer for Medicine at uni starting this year but I didn't meet the grades for the offer. My school have downgraded me, so my results weren't anything I was expecting. School are saying this because in my mocks, I got ABBB, and that's the same grades I was given today. However, my mocks were a one-off; throughout the two years (both before and after mocks) I have been consistently scoring A/A*. Furthermore, I have extenuating circumstances for my mocks. A lot of people in my year were upgraded heavily from their mocks - one person got ADE in their mocks, and my school gave them A*AB. Whereas my grades have been entirely based on these one set of mocks.

I want to appeal this to someone higher, because I've been unfairly given grades that has purposefully pushed me back a year, even might have to retake my exams. Other people in my year who did a lot worse than me all year round have gotten grades higher than me. I don't know why my school has done this, but it is clear there is some institutional bias.

Who would I contact to take this up further? Would it be the exam boards? OFQUAL?

Also, is it okay to name students - for example, the person who went from ADE to A*AB in the email, or keep it anonymous?

Thank you. :smile:

Theoretically, it would be possible to do a malpractice appeal against your school. This would have to go via your school, but would go to the exam board. The fees for this are quite high (£100 for the first sitting, and more for the second one if needed).

It might be worth contacting your exam board for advice, and asking what sort of evidence they would consider. You could name other students, but only with their consent. Is it the same teachers involved in both cases? Doing a subject access request would be one way to get evidence from your school. You can't ask for evidence about other students.

Do be aware it's very unlikely this would be resolved in time for 2020 uni entry, so it may be quicker and cheaper just to resit.
Original post by arman1401
First of all, it is better to keep it anonymous. Like you, I am in a similar position where I deserved an A/B for History but received a U. The best thing is to appeal and talk with your teachers to see if it is possible. This should take place ASAP. If you believe there was a level of bias towards anyone or any discrimination as such towards you, you can use that for your appeal process.

Fingers crossed it works for both of us

Thank you for replying. I'm trying to get in touch with both school and the exam boards. So sorry to hear you're in the same position, it's so awful because it's completely out of our control, but I know if I'd sat my exams, I would've gotten the grades I deserved.
Good luck with everything xx :smile:
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Theoretically, it would be possible to do a malpractice appeal against your school. This would have to go via your school, but would go to the exam board. The fees for this are quite high (£100 for the first sitting, and more for the second one if needed).

It might be worth contacting your exam board for advice, and asking what sort of evidence they would consider. You could name other students, but only with their consent. Is it the same teachers involved in both cases? Doing a subject access request would be one way to get evidence from your school. You can't ask for evidence about other students.

Do be aware it's very unlikely this would be resolved in time for 2020 uni entry, so it may be quicker and cheaper just to resit.

Thank you, I think I'm going to do the appeal against the school, but I'm also going to resit. The uni I had an offer for is completely full now for medicine :frown: but they have offered me a place for next year if I get the grades (either through appeal or resit). Thanks again xx :smile:
Thank you, I think I'm going to do the appeal against the school, but I'm also going to resit. The uni I had an offer for is completely full now for medicine :frown: but they have offered me a place for next year if I get the grades (either through appeal or resit). Thanks again xx :smile:

A defered place isn't a bad outcome though? At least you don't have to go through the stress of interviews, UCAT etc again? Will your insurance do the same?

If you want to share your exam board(s) I'll find you some details on malpractice appeals!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
A defered place isn't a bad outcome though? At least you don't have to go through the stress of interviews, UCAT etc again? Will your insurance do the same?

If you want to share your exam board(s) I'll find you some details on malpractice appeals!

Yes, I'm very grateful that they have offered me a place for next year, I'm just a little annoyed because I've basically been delayed a whole year when I know that if I had sat the exams, I could've gotten the three As.

No, only my firm has offered me a place for next year.

My exam boards are OCR for the subjects I am appealing for. (and EDEXCEL for my other)

THANK YOU SO MUCH xx
Yes, I'm very grateful that they have offered me a place for next year, I'm just a little annoyed because I've basically been delayed a whole year when I know that if I had sat the exams, I could've gotten the three As.

No, only my firm has offered me a place for next year.

My exam boards are OCR for the subjects I am appealing for. (and EDEXCEL for my other)

THANK YOU SO MUCH xx

First of all, do bear in mind that malpractice appeals are long/expensive and there's no guarantee of success, so you do need to consider retaking as well. These sorts of appeals are not subject to the same timescales as ordinary appeals, so I would suggest at least registering for autumn retakes too.

For OCR, it seems like you would initially have to complain about malpractice to JCQ, using the form available on this page: https://www.ocr.org.uk/administration/general-qualifications/assessment/malpractice/ . If they didn't find in your favour, you would then need to appeal this decision with OCR. There's some information about this here: https://www.ocr.org.uk/administration/other-vocational-qualifications/post-results/appeals/

For EDEXCEL it seems like you would need to have proof of bias/discrimination, and then you can appeal by emailing [email protected]- more details here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/campaigns/pearson-covid-19/appealing-calculated-grades.html#%2Ftab-FAQsforcandidates%20
Reply 8
Hi this has happened to me too I have lost my med space . My school has taken my worst grades and submitted used them as a basis for my grades. I got a B instead of a A. I want to complain bias for my grade. My friend tried to appeal a few days at our school but they said they would nt change her grade. My school has categorised me as a B/C and told me its a great grade based on there evidence. Non of my A and A* are even considered. I have to still two A’level in oct after doing nothing for 6 months, I want exams in Dec to give many people a realistic chance!
Original post by Max4722
Hi this has happened to me too I have lost my med space . My school has taken my worst grades and submitted used them as a basis for my grades. I got a B instead of a A. I want to complain bias for my grade. My friend tried to appeal a few days at our school but they said they would nt change her grade. My school has categorised me as a B/C and told me its a great grade based on there evidence. Non of my A and A* are even considered. I have to still two A’level in oct after doing nothing for 6 months, I want exams in Dec to give many people a realistic chance!

RIGHT? It's so unfair. Not all teachers have been fair, mine certaintly haven't. It's stupid for the government to do this. October is way too soon to be able to revise for an A Level exam, we're hardly going to do well with such little time. I hope everything works out for us both. Let me know how it goes xx :smile:

I am appealing, some is not right - I am going to take exams anyway no choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending