The Student Room Group

should i contact my teacher?

i don’t know how weird this question is but i would like some advice.

i was very close to my favourite teacher in high school and we used to talk a lot during after school homework catch ups and on a school trip to Germany. i told him i wanted to apply to Cambridge on that trip, and he told me to email him telling me if i got in (and if i didn’t just a general update).

we are now approaching that time as i am going into y13 and applying to Cambridge in October. i really want to email him as he truly did help me a lot during high school and the fact that he used to be in the job i wanted to go into and told us about it in lessons is one of the main reasons i decided to go for it, so i owe it to him to update him.

the only problem is that i feel really awkward about it. is he going to see the email and be like why the hell is she messaging me, or is he going to find it weird that i remembered him wanting an update? people used to joke that he had a crush on me, i found it quite funny at first but i started hearing it from a lot of people, and even my mum got worried at one point because i used to talk about him so much, so i don’t know if it is in mine or his interests to contact him. what do you think?

(for the record, i love him for everything he did to help me and as a general friend, but not in THAT way at all, so it wouldn’t be weird in the sense that i fancy him).
Original post by Anonymous

i was very close to my favourite teacher in high school and we used to talk a lot during after school homework catch ups and on a school trip to Germany. i told him i wanted to apply to Cambridge on that trip, and he told me to email him telling me if i got in (and if i didn’t just a general update).

we are now approaching that time as i am going into y13 and applying to Cambridge in October. i really want to email him as he truly did help me a lot during high school and the fact that he used to be in the job i wanted to go into and told us about it in lessons is one of the main reasons i decided to go for it, so i owe it to him to update him.

the only problem is that i feel really awkward about it. is he going to see the email and be like why the hell is she messaging me, or is he going to find it weird that i remembered him wanting an update? people used to joke that he had a crush on me, i found it quite funny at first but i started hearing it from a lot of people, and even my mum got worried at one point because i used to talk about him so much, so i don’t know if it is in mine or his interests to contact him. what do you think?

(for the record, i love him for everything he did to help me and as a general friend, but not in THAT way at all, so it wouldn’t be weird in the sense that i fancy him).

All sounds a bit creepy to me. Don't message and move on with your life. He's not your friend, he's a teacher.
I’d say go for it! He would probably be delighted to receive an update. I still meet up with my old teachers, and they very often ask what certain people are doing and how they are. I’ve also seen joy in my current tutors face when a past pupil emailed to let her know they’d got a job in Thailand.

It’s not creepy. If you were asking him to get into bed with you, then that’d be creepy.... but an update on something he helped you to achieve is not.

Give it a more purpose ie updating him AND thanking him for his time teaching you.
Reply 3
All sounds a bit creepy to me. Don't message and move on with your life. He's not your friend, he's a teacher.

i know he’s not my friend, and it’s not like i’m messaging him something weird, but i do still see him as my sister still goes to that school so i feel like the topic would come up either way
Reply 4
Original post by Bumble18
I’d say go for it! He would probably be delighted to receive an update. I still meet up with my old teachers, and they very often ask what certain people are doing and how they are. I’ve also seen joy in my current tutors face when a past pupil emailed to let her know they’d got a job in Thailand.

It’s not creepy. If you were asking him to get into bed with you, then that’d be creepy.... but an update on something he helped you to achieve is not.

Give it a more purpose ie updating him AND thanking him for his time teaching you.

thank you! i’m just a bit worried about coming across as creepy like if i email him saying remember on this day at this location when you told me to update you lol. i saw him once after i left for gcse awards evening and told him i was struggling with an essay which he helped me with so maybe i’ll thank him for that as i managed to get an A* from it?
There's nothing for him to misunderstand.

It all comes down to how your email comes off, talk as if you aren't close to him (Say: Mr whateverhisnameis, how are you? Hope you're in good health) and just relay across how you've been, what you're currently doing and why you've contacted him (for help and advice).
thank you! i’m just a bit worried about coming across as creepy like if i email him saying remember on this day at this location when you told me to update you lol. i saw him once after i left for gcse awards evening and told him i was struggling with an essay which he helped me with so maybe i’ll thank him for that as i managed to get an A* from it?

Haha, maybe don't be that specific. Just be quite vague like 'I remember a couple of years ago on the trip to Germany telling you that I wanted to apply to Cambridge...' and just take it from there. I got called obsessed once for remembering specific details of a conversation, but im actually just autistic and don't forget things lol.

yeah thats a good idea. Even just thanking him for being a great teacher, it just kind of breaks any awkwardness.. in my opinion. Good luck!

Honestly, don't do it. I did something like this, suprisingly, my teacher was very nice and kind about. However, I instantly regretted it because I believe he wasn't expecting, also nobody wants to be stuck in some high school sh*t.
Honestly, don't do it. I did something like this, suprisingly, my teacher was very nice and kind about. However, I instantly regretted it because I believe he wasn't expecting, also nobody wants to be stuck in some high school sh*t.

Life is too short. I had a teacher i really wanted to thank for taking me under her wing. I didn't do it. She passed away April 2018 and I had instant regret that can never be rectified.
Life is too short. I had a teacher i really wanted to thank for taking me under her wing. I didn't do it. She passed away April 2018 and I had instant regret that can never be rectified.

I'm sorry to hear that. However, why would you thank a teacher, after you've left high school? There's no point, I know it hurts, but it's the truth.
I'm sorry to hear that. However, why would you thank a teacher, after you've left high school? There's no point, I know it hurts, but it's the truth.

In that situation, it was actually her that left. I didnt thank her when she left because i didnt actually realise how much she shaped me and looked out for me. Maybe it's a bit different for me because i went to a special school so staff student relationships are a lot closer.
Saying that though, I had an ex teacher from my mainstream school reach out to me on facebook to tell me she loved the bones of me. I left that school 4 years ago and hadn't spoken to her for 3.5 years, but the death of a classmate prompted her to spread the love.

We may have met these people in a formal setting, but that doesn't mean the relationship ends on the last day of year 11. Teachers are often delighted to hear from ex students and their success, it shows they have done something right! It's always good to show appreciation, they're just people
My message does not include these ones that pester ex teachers tho haha, they're weird.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
There's nothing for him to misunderstand.

It all comes down to how your email comes off, talk as if you aren't close to him (Say: Mr whateverhisnameis, how are you? Hope you're in good health) and just relay across how you've been, what you're currently doing and why you've contacted him (for help and advice).

ok thank you :smile:

that’s what i was worried about, i know he’d be nice about it but it would actually be more awkward if he found it weird because i still see him when i go into school for my sister
In that situation, it was actually her that left. I didnt thank her when she left because i didnt actually realise how much she shaped me and looked out for me. Maybe it's a bit different for me because i went to a special school so staff student relationships are a lot closer.
Saying that though, I had an ex teacher from my mainstream school reach out to me on facebook to tell me she loved the bones of me. I left that school 4 years ago and hadn't spoken to her for 3.5 years, but the death of a classmate prompted her to spread the love.

We may have met these people in a formal setting, but that doesn't mean the relationship ends on the last day of year 11. Teachers are often delighted to hear from ex students and their success, it shows they have done something right! It's always good to show appreciation, they're just people
My message does not include these ones that pester ex teachers tho haha, they're weird.

That's a sweet story! I won't lie, if my teacher contacted me on social media, I would block them, because that's weird.
that’s what i was worried about, i know he’d be nice about it but it would actually be more awkward if he found it weird because i still see him when i go into school for my sister

Tell him at school, then.
That's a sweet story! I won't lie, if my teacher contacted me on social media, I would block them, because that's weird.

I guess it depends on the relationship you had with that specific teacher. There’s some I’d block immediately too haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending