The Student Room Group

Student Finance England - Estranged Student

I am applying for estranged student status for my final year of university. I have had a meeting with my university's inclusion officer to explain my situation with my mother, and she has written me a letter that I will use as my third-party evidence.

Is it advisable to also attach letters written by family members also? For example, the estrangement is from my mother. My sisters could formulate their letters as they are close to the situation (and have also cut our mother out of their lives).

Please let me know if I need to clarify any details. Thank you for reading.
Original post by luminarydan
I am applying for estranged student status for my final year of university. I have had a meeting with my university's inclusion officer to explain my situation with my mother, and she has written me a letter that I will use as my third-party evidence.

Is it advisable to also attach letters written by family members also? For example, the estrangement is from my mother. My sisters could formulate their letters as they are close to the situation (and have also cut our mother out of their lives).

Please let me know if I need to clarify any details. Thank you for reading.

Hi there,

We require evidence from a person of good standing in the community, for example a Teacher, Social Worker or Doctor etc who knows of the estrangement. This letter should confirm the following;

- Their relationship to the student and the length of time they have known them
- The reasons for the estrangement from both their parents and when this occurred
- Current contact levels with both parents and if a reconciliation is likely
- Their contact details should we need to contact them

This is worked on a case by case basis and the team will let you know once reviewed, if this has been accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending