The Student Room Group

does anyone know how to invest/buy stocks?

im really interested in this area but have barely any knowledge on this, is this safe to do and what websites could I use etc and what is the whole point of this?
To make money, Hargreaves Lansdown is a decent broker and has not bad rates. I recommend you search and learn up about investing before you try since it’s a risk of losing your money.

Trading 212 - has a free demo where you can trade stocks with virtual money - kinda gives you an idea and what it is about.
I would recommend reading some books on finance and statistics before you bother investing. Don't just do blindly what some insta investor or etoro advert tells you to do.
If you're going to try and invest into stocks, make sure you have well above 10k (even 10k gives you the bare minimum if it does well), else don't bother. It's not a get rich quick scheme.
Original post by Anonymous
im really interested in this area but have barely any knowledge on this, is this safe to do and what websites could I use etc and what is the whole point of this?

Start with https://www.sockshop.co.uk/blog/posts/august-2020/the-biggest-autumn-winter-sock-trends
If you're going to try and invest into stocks, make sure you have well above 10k (even 10k gives you the bare minimum if it does well), else don't bother. It's not a get rich quick scheme.

it would be incredibly foolish to invest the entirety of the 10k if you don't know what you're doing. lots of idiots did that in the end of 2017 with cryptocurrency and practically lost everything
Original post by MalcolmX
it would be incredibly foolish to invest the entirety of the 10k if you don't know what you're doing. lots of idiots did that in the end of 2017 with cryptocurrency and practically lost everything

I completely agree. I wouldn't advise investing without a safety net either.
Start by reading either the FT or WSJ - both have good content on investing
Reply 8

Frankly, even £10,000 deposited in a global index fund either during or shortly after university and then left untouched for the remainder of your working life—assuming dividends re-invested—would be £10,000 very well spent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending