The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Not sure how to pack my things

Hi any current or (new) students want to help me out as I have no clue how to pack my things! I'll be staying in Fferm Pe galis and will be coming down in my car, but my stuff will be in my parents car as it has more room/spcae.

Should I bring my stuff in their original packaging or just remove them from the packaging?

Also do I need to wash stuff like pans and cutlery, clothing and bedding before arriving?
Thank you for your help!
(edited 3 years ago)
I’d remove packaging before you pack it. Only wash things if you think it’s necessary but I’d recommend making sure all the clothes and bedding you bring isn’t clean
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Hi thank you for the advice I'm not sure what you mean with this line?
"I’d recommend making sure all the clothes and bedding you bring isn’t clean"
Original post by oroberto1509
Hi any current or (new) students want to help me out as I have no clue how to pack my things! I'll be staying in Fferm Pe galis and will be coming down in my car, but my stuff will be in my parents car as it has more room/spcae.

Should I bring my stuff in their original packaging or just remove them from the packaging?

Also do I need to wash stuff like pans and cutlery, clothing and bedding before arriving?
Thank you for your help!

Unpack things at home, so you can sort out all the recycling and packaging. I'm not sure what your halls are like in terms of recycling facilities.
Wrap breakables in your clothes and put them in a load of suitcases/bags that your parents can take home after you've emptied them.
Original post by Anonymous
Unpack things at home, so you can sort out all the recycling and packaging. I'm not sure what your halls are like in terms of recycling facilities.
Wrap breakables in your clothes and put them in a load of suitcases/bags that your parents can take home after you've emptied them.

Thank you so much for the help!
Hi @oroberto1509

It’s great to hear you are coming to Aberystwyth! Soon, I am starting my 3rd year of study and it’s hard to believe how time flies by.

I would advise you to remove the packaging for two main reasons. One of them is saving space, Fferm Penglais rooms are rather spacious, but after you settle in, you will realise that it is the best not to collect unnecessary stuff like packaging. Of course, you could also bin things when you arrive in Aber. First weeks are exciting, but frankly saying, rather busy in a good way. I wouldn’t put additional responsibilities on yourself like cleaning the room if you can sort it out before you come to Aberystwyth.

Washing pans and cutlery could make a transportation a little bit easier because any grease or dirt could stain other things. When it comes to clothes and bedding I would make sure they are clean before you arrive. For just one simple reason you wouldn’t have to worry about doing laundry in your first days in Aber. It would also save you a few pennies.

I hope it helps!
Natalia
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you so much for your help this means a lot and I will probably do what you have adviced!
Thank you for the help!
My mum is putting everything in those rectangular waterproof bags sold at Tesco and hiring a taxi to drive us down.
oh ok 😂

Quick Reply

Latest