The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It seems to me that some unknown person from an orchestra and a music critic who wrote in a BBC magazine are considering it rather than the BBC.
Reply 2

Defund the BBC to get rid of The Proms?

Top one.
Reply 3

A far better reason to defund the BBC would’ve been because of a white reporter saying the n-word on live TV, but I guess removing a song is a better reason to defund them rather than using a historically offensive racist slur:bebored:

Aside from the fact the lyrics to the song are interesting to say the least, what the BBC and several other white “Anti BLM groups/people” aren’t understanding is that Black people don’t want meaningless symbolic victories like that, but actual racial equality. Performative ‘wokeness’ is far easier for them than real change.

It’s also quite funny to see all the Tory MPs outraged online at the dropping of Rule Britannia but not the 4.5 million children living in poverty or the 40,000 Covid-deaths because of their own inept response.
Original post by L i b
It seems to me that some unknown person from an orchestra and a music critic who wrote in a BBC magazine are considering it rather than the BBC.

Original post by Guardian article
The BBC is reportedly considering whether to axe the patriotic staples in the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests, and the Covid restrictions are seen as an opportunity to make the change.

From the second paragraph of the article
Original post by epicnm
It’s also quite funny to see all the Tory MPs outraged online at the dropping of Rule Britannia but not the 4.5 million children living in poverty or the 40,000 Covid-deaths because of their own inept response.

You could say the same about Labour MP's getting annoyed at statues - the existence of poverty doesn't mean you can't talk about things other than poverty.
Reply 5
Original post by LiberOfLondon
You could say the same about Labour MP's getting annoyed at statues - the existence of poverty doesn't mean you can't talk about things other than poverty.

It would be great if those MPs were talking about poverty, their poor Covid response, etc and condemning the actions of this government along with other ‘issues’, but choose to remain silent, so it’s great to see where the priorities of some Tory MPs are.
And I’m pretty sure Labour MPs have been vocal about poverty as they were with removing slave-trader statues.
Original post by epicnm
It would be great if those MPs were talking about poverty, their poor Covid response, etc and condemning the actions of this government along with other ‘issues’, but choose to remain silent, so it’s great to see where the priorities of some Tory MPs are.
And I’m pretty sure Labour MPs have been vocal about poverty as they were with removing slave-trader statues.

Once again, the existence of poverty doesn't mean you can't talk about things other than poverty.
Reply 7
Original post by epicnm
A far better reason to defund the BBC would’ve been because of a white reporter saying the n-word on live TV, but I guess removing a song is a better reason to defund them rather than using a historically offensive racist slur:bebored:

You make it sound like she walked up to someone and called them a ******. Something she did not do in any way, shape or form. To draw any kind of equivalence is lunacy.

Aside from the fact the lyrics to the song are interesting to say the least, what the BBC and several other white “Anti BLM groups/people” aren’t understanding is that Black people don’t want meaningless symbolic victories like that, but actual racial equality. Performative ‘wokeness’ is far easier for them than real change.

No, usually its irritating middle class white folk. Oh irony of ironies.

Wouldnt this be the literal definition of what aboutery?
Reply 8
Original post by epicnm

Whilst sitting in their luxury flats suckling at the tax payers teet indeed.
Its rather hard to accuse tories, and thus exculpate labour, mps on this front given theyre all as bad as each other.
Reply 9
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Once again, the existence of poverty doesn't mean you can't talk about things other than poverty.

Of course not! Just interesting to see where their priorities lie:dontknow:

Original post by Napp
You make it sound like she walked up to someone and called them a ******. Something she did not do in any way, shape or form. To draw any kind of equivalence is lunacy.

No, usually its irritating middle class white folk. Oh irony of ironies.

Wouldnt this be the literal definition of what aboutery?

She said the n-word on live TV. The historical context is still attached to the word regardless of the context it was said in. But that’s another debate; the point I was making is it’s interesting to see people calling for the defunding of the BBC after they remove a song but remained silent when the reporter said a racist slur on national TV.

Ah yes! All black people collectively came together to speak out against police brutality, structural and systemic racism and racial injustices in society to “irritate middle class white folk”
:giggle:Funny how “middle class white folk “find ways to Center anti-racism around themselves.

No. As a member of Parliament and cabinet minister for the current government, I would’ve thought that, in line with their role to act in the national interest and the interest of their constituents, they would speak out against the government’s inept Covid response or the poverty crisis, etc rather than protesting against the removal of an inappropriate song from a TV show.

Original post by Napp
Whilst sitting in their luxury flats suckling at the tax payers teet indeed.
Its rather hard to accuse tories, and thus exculpate labour, mps on this front given theyre all as bad as each other.

Both may be sitting in their luxury flats, but one is doing so whilst speaking out against these issues, the other isn’t.

You sound like Mog the Cat. "Mog doesn't like change. She just wants an egg for breakfast."

Why not mix it up a bit? Change is good. If yòu want to hear the finale of the last night of the Proms a la tradinional, there are no doubt 50+ more or less identical recordings you can call on.
I doubt if this is planned at all. Probably just someone with a grudge against the BBC.

What is does mean, whether or not the Proms programme is changed, is that there is at least one Saturday evening without bad drama or so-called comedy.
Woke culture starting to dominate our lives. This cannot be tolerated. Despite fact that I couldn’t care less about the BBC, it’s about time cancel culture was cancelled itself.
Reply 13
The irony of ‘cancelling’ the BBC for the BBC’s ‘cancel culture’ :laugh:
Reply 14
Original post by epicnm
She said the n-word on live TV. The historical context is still attached to the word regardless of the context it was said in. But that’s another debate; the point I was making is it’s interesting to see people calling for the defunding of the BBC after they remove a song but remained silent when the reporter said a racist slur on national TV.

A poor choice of words, still not the same as what you're implying though.
Well one is pertinent to Britains culture, one is a questionable choice to words.

Ah yes! All black people collectively came together to speak out against police brutality, structural and systemic racism and racial injustices in society to “irritate middle class white folk”
:giggle:Funny how “middle class white folk “find ways to Center anti-racism around themselves.

Did they? Thats frightfully selfish of them.

No. As a member of Parliament and cabinet minister for the current government, I would’ve thought that, in line with their role to act in the national interest and the interest of their constituents, they would speak out against the government’s inept Covid response or the poverty crisis, etc rather than protesting against the removal of an inappropriate song from a TV show.
Still whataboutery given covid has literally zip to do with this?

Both may be sitting in their luxury flats, but one is doing so whilst speaking out against these issues, the other isn’t.

I'm not sure i'd call incinsere gumflapping putting poverty front and center...
As much as Rule Britannia is a great piece of music, I’ve always thought the lyrics are a bit cringeworthy.

It’s a effectively a song that takes pride in the fact that Britain subjugated other countries by force. It ought to be a part of our history that we’re ashamed of rather than proud of.
They should replace it with God Save The Queen by The Sex Pistols.

The seething outrage among Conservatives would be a delight to witness.
Reply 17
Original post by tazarooni89
As much as Rule Britannia is a great piece of music, I’ve always thought the lyrics are a bit cringeworthy.

It’s a effectively a song that takes pride in the fact that Britain subjugated other countries by force. It ought to be a part of our history that we’re ashamed of rather than proud of.

Wouldnt such a precedent be rather awkward for all countries, bar none really? Never mind the fact i imagine the Americans, Austrians, Mongols, Italians, Iranians et al. would laugh this idea out of the door if they were told to feel bad for their supposed historical transgressions?
Original post by Napp
Wouldnt such a precedent be rather awkward for all countries, bar none really? Never mind the fact i imagine the Americans, Austrians, Mongols, Italians, Iranians et al. would laugh this idea out of the door if they were told to feel bad for their supposed historical transgressions?

It’s one thing to not feel bad about historical transgressions. Sure, we’re not responsible for the sins of our fathers.

But it’s another thing altogether to proclaim those transgressions with pride. It would be strange for a patriotic American song to boast about killing Native Americans and taking their land, for example.
Reply 19
Original post by tazarooni89
It’s one thing to not feel bad about historical transgressions. Sure, we’re not responsible for the sins of our fathers.

But it’s another thing altogether to proclaim those transgressions with pride. It would be strange for a patriotic American song to boast about killing Native Americans and taking their land, for example.

Doesnt that rather presuppose you can only view history through the prism of the negative? It is entirely possible to be proud of the legacy of empire without cheering the machine gunning of Sepoy's after all. Case in point, not everything in our history is either bad or good and it is entirely possible to separate the two - not to mention it being silly to apply modern morals to historical actions.
And plenty of American, British (well everyone) songs celebrate killing people... be it in revolution, war, conquest or what not.

Latest

Trending

Trending