The Student Room Group

I've not had my period for 5 months

I'm getting really concerned lately. I used to get my period every 4 weeks plus/minus one week at max. Then at one point i got my period for 2 weeks straight, followed by getting my period for 6 days, but every 2 weeks instead of 4. In April my period suddenly stopped coming..... I can't pin point exactly why but maybe someone can relate. I will make a doctors appointment soon but I still wanted to asked. Just for some background:

I'm 5ft6, weigh 56kg as of today. 2 month ago i weighed 52-53kg. Idk why the sudden increase in weight.... I've always been around 52kg despite changes in eating habits so....

I joined the gym 8 months ago - then came lockdown.....) I go 3-4 times a week. I only do 15 minute warm up and 45 mins strength training. I used to do my workouts fasted but since 2 weeks, i eat carbs + protein before and after my workout as i heard sometimes exercising can make your period stop due to being under fuelled.

I tracked my calories so see if i was underfuelling, which i was but i still someone gained weight (yes i counted them very accurately for a week)

Most of the weight gain seems to be around my belly..... When i look in the mirror i look 5 month pregnant 😭 and its not just bloating because even in the mornings it's there (although it does get even bigger throughout the day). I've been focusing on my abs more at the gym but it doesn't help.

I'm not sexually active.

Any idea?

Thanks x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm getting really concerned lately. I used to get my period every 4 weeks plus/minus one week at max. Then at one point i got my period for 2 weeks straight, followed by getting my period for 6 days, but every 2 weeks instead of 4. In April my period suddenly stopped coming..... I can't pin point exactly why but maybe someone can relate. I will make a doctors appointment soon but I still wanted to asked. Just for some background:

I'm 5ft6, weigh 56kg as of today. 2 month ago i weighed 52-53kg. Idk why the sudden increase in weight.... I've always been around 52kg despite changes in eating habits so....

I joined the gym 8 months ago - then came lockdown.....) I go 3-4 times a week. I only do 15 minute warm up and 45 mins strength training. I used to do my workouts fasted but since 2 weeks, i eat carbs + protein before and after my workout as i heard sometimes exercising can make your period stop due to being under fuelled.

I tracked my calories so see if i was underfuelling, which i was but i still someone gained weight (yes i counted them very accurately for a week)

Most of the weight gain seems to be around my belly..... When i look in the mirror i look 5 month pregnant 😭 and its not just bloating because even in the mornings it's there (although it does get even bigger throughout the day). I've been focusing on my abs more at the gym but it doesn't help.

I'm not sexually active.

Any idea?

Thanks x

Go visit see your GP.
If you are definitely not pregnant, you should probably see a doctor

I'm not sexually active.

Any idea?

Thanks x

Nobody here is able to give you professional medical advice, so it is best to wait and speak to your GP. It sounds like something's going on internally with hormones or something and you may need things like blood tests done etc. Good luck and hopefully you find answers soon.
It could be PCOS. I’ve had about 8 periods in 2 years as I have PCOS. See your GP to rule out anything serious, they may put you on the contraceptive pill to regulate them.
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
Go visit see your GP.

Original post by black tea
If you are definitely not pregnant, you should probably see a doctor

Thanks, i already know this. i wouldn't have posted if i wanted everyone to tell me this :/
Reply 6
Original post by Bumble18
It could be PCOS. I’ve had about 8 periods in 2 years as I have PCOS. See your GP to rule out anything serious, they may put you on the contraceptive pill to regulate them.

May i ask if it's been like this since you started your period or did you get pcos later?
Reply 7

I really don't want to go on the pill though 😢
Original post by yzanne
You need to definitely see a GP - this is not normal.

Unfortunately, there are always little ways of getting pregnant (through public toilets etc) on the off chance that there was fluid.

I'm not jumping to the conclusion that you're pregnant - but not having a period for 2 months is not normal, let alone 5.

Excuse me what? Pregnant through a public toilet what? 😨😨😨
May i ask if it's been like this since you started your period or did you get pcos later?

I started my periods December 2012. They were consistent and normal. The PCOS symptoms started August 2018... so however long that is. I was 19 then and it is common for PCOS to begin showing late teens/early 20s according to NHS website 😊
Original post by yzanne

Unfortunately, there are always little ways of getting pregnant (through public toilets etc) on the off chance that there was fluid.

I'm not jumping to the conclusion that you're pregnant - but not having a period for 2 months is not normal, let alone 5.

WHAT? There is no way I'm pregnant, had no other symptoms. And we've been in lockdown, i haven't even used a public toilet in the past months.

It's not that uncommon.... There are people on YouTube who've not had their period for 2 years (it's called amenorrhea)
Original post by yzanne

The odds of that are zero (yet this is a common myth) unless you're literally rubbing yourself on the toilet seat...which if you are, why?

This sounds like it's likely ovarian cysts or at worst ovarian cancer. I had similar symptoms and turns out I had massive cysts on my ovaries- no reason why, just bad luck. You really need to see a doctor- no one here will be able to tell you why. Really the best way to help this is to get on birth control- if you have concerns about being on birth control, talk to your doctor! It's really not a huge deal. Good luck getting it sorted xx
I really don't want to go on the pill though 😢

You don’t have take anything you don’t want to 🙂. What’s important is to check you’re healthy, then discuss your options as necessary. You don’t have to make any rush decisions 😊
Original post by yzanne

I didn’t realise people put their foof on the toilet seat 🤦🏻*♀️only my legs touch the seat!
(edited 3 years ago)
I started my periods December 2012. They were consistent and normal. The PCOS symptoms started August 2018... so however long that is. I was 19 then and it is common for PCOS to begin showing late teens/early 20s according to NHS website 😊

Oh right it could be... I just turned 20. Did you get your hormones tested then? Did you have to have an ultrasound?
Did the doctor tell you a plan of action for your pcos? Or is it one of those things you just have to live with

This is the one thing I'm scared to have sigh
The odds of that are zero (yet this is a common myth) unless you're literally rubbing yourself on the toilet seat...which if you are, why?

This sounds like it's likely ovarian cysts or at worst ovarian cancer. I had similar symptoms and turns out I had massive cysts on my ovaries- no reason why, just bad luck. You really need to see a doctor- no one here will be able to tell you why. Really the best way to help this is to get on birth control- if you have concerns about being on birth control, talk to your doctor! It's really not a huge deal. Good luck getting it sorted xx

Did you experience pain in your pelvic area when you had cysts? How did you get them removed? Does it affect fertility in the future?

No way i have ovarian cancer, i feel completely fine otherwise.

I've heard horror stories about the pill, I've just been put off really. Don't want to risk if i can do something else to help.

You don’t have take anything you don’t want to 🙂. What’s important is to check you’re healthy, then discuss your options as necessary. You don’t have to make any rush decisions 😊

I didn’t realise people put their foof on the toilet seat 🤦🏻*♀️only my legs touch the seat!

Same, i even clean the seat with wipes before sitting
Reply 18
Original post by yzanne

You can't get pregnant from a toilet seat there are several simple reasons to start with.
As others have said it would be best to see a GP. I have PCOS and when i was menstruating the time between each period was getting longer and longer which is what made me go to the doctors. PCOS isnt something you suddenly develop but sometimes symptoms can take a while to show (some people have PCOS and never have any symptoms which is why a lot of people are undiagnosed).
It could also be an ovarian cyst (contrary to popular belief this is not what pcos is) or another reproductive issue. Blood tests and an ultrasound will be able to give you more clarity.
There are a lot of misconceptions about 'the pill' but it's not as scary as people make out, if you decide you would like to go on it then your GP or sexual health clinic can help you decide what method to use. If you choose oral contraceptive the two main types are the combined pill and the mini/progesterone only pill.
For me personally the former made my periods very regular and the latter stopped them completely.

Quick Reply

Latest