The Student Room Group

The hardest Week of my life

This is a true story about what happened during my first year of uni. I have not really told this story to many people, but thought I would come out and tell it to people. By far this was the hardest time of my life.

It all started before uni where I was trying to make some new friends before starting in some group chats. I ended up making friends with one girl there, I will call Lucy (Not her real name) And quickly bonded over favorite movies.

She came across online as a nerdy and kind girl which I found really nice to talk to. We quickly started talking everyday for Months about uni, movies, work etc and I would say within 3 months we became best friends. We starting calling more after A levels and over the summer I suggested she came up to see London for a day and to hang out, but her parents was not keen on the idea of her going alone to London, so we agreed to meet near where she lived and to hang out.

When we met it was really nice and as it was her birthday in a few weeks, I treated her and took her out for the day to a small attraction near her house and bought her a card and present. I did not start talking to her with the intentions to gain feelings, but after meeting her and seeing how well we worked and her hug and kiss on the cheek after a lovely day together, I did end up falling in love with her a bit. However, I decided best to keep things as best friends at least until uni and wait to talk about my feelings.

When uni started, I was very nervous as unlike Lucy I was moving a long way from home and knew very few people. Lucy and I agreed to meet up in freshers week and do the freshers ball together (Which we promised to go together no matter what, as we knew freshers week may be hetic and we may not hang out as much as we wanted!). The first night of freshers we both met up, drank, spent time together and she gave strong signals of liking me back (Hugging, kissing, holding hands, dancing together etc). I was so happy as I never had a girl like me like this before, I went home that night feeling so happy.
The next day we went to lunch together and Lucy and I seemed closer than ever! I did feel like I was going to ask her how she felt about me, but decided to wait a few more days until the ball where it would be perfect....LITTLE DID I KNOW THINGS WERE GOING TO GET ALOT WORSE VERY FAST!

Lucy could not meet up the next day, which was understandable and she said "She was busy in the evening with some flat mates and was going out" which I was also busy, so we did not meet up that night. The next day was the same story and I again was not really expecting any different as I knew how busy freshers could be and how she probs wanted to make friends which I also did. However the night before the ball Lucy started to talk to me less and less and ignored my text which did make me feel nervous.

I thought nothing much was up thought until my room mate said "On I thought you and Lucy were a couple as two seemed so close on the first night! Saw her making out with one of her roommates in the club last night". That was a Blow, never thought "hanging out with roommates" mean't she was shagging one of them and avoiding me. I felt gutted, However refused to believe fully. I mean people get drunk in freshers right? not many many people hook up with their roommates right? Lucy was not lying to me to ditch me right? It was a very confusing time as I felt like she had been avoiding me very suddenly and now my roommate has confirmed she been making out with one of the people in her house, it was pretty sad. Deep down, I was not too upset, I mean I wanted a friend more than anything, so decided not to panic and just wait until the ball to see her as we promised to go together or together as a group.

I was suffering from terribly homesickness as this point and found it hard to make friends and I was living off campus with people in second year in alternative housing, so Was hoping that even if Lucy and I did not get together, we would stay friends. I gave her some space and decided to see if she would message me and she did, I got this text:

"Hey, Sorry Im having a party in my flat so will be late getting to the ball, but hope to see you inside, Keep an eye out for me. Lucy x"

I had some hope! She did say to find her inside and I felt happier and went to the ball. However within entering the building I saw her inside at opening time. My heart Shattered. She looked at me and then gave me a weak smile and walked off with the roommate she had been seeing. This had been the biggest heart break of the week, she straight up lied to me and did not even say Hello.

The next day I had developed freshers flu and was pretty depressed from the week. Freshers week was mean't to be fun, but I felt like I had lost my crush and my best friend in just a few days....and I blamed myself. I spent a whole day inside my room laying in bed, I was homesick, Ill, Lonely and felt so upset, but then it hit me, IT WAS NOT MY FAULT!

Maybe I was not a perfect Friend, but I was a good one. I never left her on read, I talked to her for months, I picked up the phone whenever she needed me, I Took her out for her birthday and she ended up ignoring me when I needed her the most, so I decided to send her a Message just before my 19th birthday a few days after freshers week:

Me: Hey Lucy, I been feeling pretty homesick and a bit down! I was hoping if you are free this week and it's my birthday in two days, we could hang out?

Lucy: Hey, whats up?

Me: um, just said Im not been feeling great, can we meet up and talk about it?

Lucy: Aw sorry to hear that, you make friends soon, you get on with your flat! Im busy lol.

Me: I know, but can you make any time, it is my birthday in 2 days?

Lucy: Sorry uni is so busy at the moment, maybe in a few days, I will let you know

Turns out she was so "Busy" going clubbing with other people on my birthday, as I saw on her snapchat. She could not see me for 20 mins, I was not worth it to her I suppose. That was the last time we ever talked.

I will never know what happened, I honestly don't know why she decided to ditch me. Uni became hard after that and I did end up developing depression from this trigger, turns out I did really care about her, so much I think It was hard to let her go. She never knew How I felt, Thought It was best I did not tell her. The homesickness and other events did contribute to my depression, but that is another part of the story.

Sadly though, the bad stuff did not stop there, As There is a part 2 which is going to explain the after mass and a bad mistake I made which ended up making year 1 of uni much worse (Let me know if you wanna hear part 2!)

HOWEVER, SOME GOOD NEWS: I am in a much better place now and my depression is much better, met an amazing girl and had another chance to fall in love in the second year of uni and made friends (Even though it took a while) and about to start year 3

Thanks for reading, please let me know in the comments what you think and Lucy in you do ever read this: I forgive you, I was never angry That you wanted to date your roommate, ditch me or not want to be friends. The worse part was that you lied, but now I have moved on and you lost the chance of having a good friend to watch your back and support you.

What do you think of my story?
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m really sorry that happened, it’s sounds really upsetting. Hope things get better! I’d love a part 2😃
Hi there
Yeah awfully sorry for what happened. Maybe she liked you and was hoping for you to make a move but you did not, or maybe she did not like you at all...
Anyway. Happy to know that you are much more happy now and have even got a chance to have a person to love.
But are you sure that Lucy is on tsr? And how are you sure that (if of course is on tsr) will know that it is you who wrote this.
Hum yeah I would love a part 2 please.
Hope it will not be too long though😅
Yessss part 2 pls.

Had a very similar experience to you when I first started Uni. I also found friends in the end of first yr who were close and the my bf in the end of first yr. Also currently going into my final year.
You have encountered what is commonly known by anthropologists as "a girl".

These exceptionally rare creatures have been known to behave in this manner.

Honestly, guy, I am really sorry you've been unhappy or lonely. That sucks. However, how this girl has behaved is *absolutely normal*. I can't bring myself to even criticise it. She's been your mate before she discovered super fun times, and now she's living her best life, and that doesn't really include you. There is nothing that can be done about this other than to forget all about it and move on.
Reply 5
Dating is full of unpleasant surprises. Glad things have come good again. Out of every heartbreak there is learning and new and better love arrives

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending