The Student Room Group

First car

Is an £8000 worth car a waste of money for a new driver? I will be driving 40 miles per day in the near future.
Depends on how much money you can comfortably spend, but my first car (I still have it) is a Peugeot 107 1.0L and it cost £850 to buy, £20 road tax for the whole year and just over £1,800 to insure for the upcoming year with 10,000 miles on the policy (this is with a black box though, parent as named driver.) so in total thats £2,670 spent for the car itself, tax and insurance for the year. About £20 petrol every 4-5 weeks but I don’t drive as many miles as you will be. However, I do believe you can get a good quality, sturdy car for waaaaayyyy cheaper than £8000 that you could probably get cheap-ish insurance on, black box or not. Just shop around and do insurance quotes on a comparison website, all you need is the number plate. In the end, it isn’t so much how much the car costs to buy, but how much it costs to insure and run that’s the most important thing.
Original post by Anonymous17!
Depends on how much money you can comfortably spend, but my first car (I still have it) is a Peugeot 107 1.0L and it cost £850 to buy, £20 road tax for the whole year and just over £1,800 to insure for the upcoming year with 10,000 miles on the policy (this is with a black box though, parent as named driver.) so in total thats £2,670 spent for the car itself, tax and insurance for the year. About £20 petrol every 4-5 weeks but I don’t drive as many miles as you will be. However, I do believe you can get a good quality, sturdy car for waaaaayyyy cheaper than £8000 that you could probably get cheap-ish insurance on, black box or not. Just shop around and do insurance quotes on a comparison website, all you need is the number plate. In the end, it isn’t so much how much the car costs to buy, but how much it costs to insure and run that’s the most important thing.

Thank you very much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending