The Student Room Group

I need help deciding what to do about uni

I leave high school this year in scotland ( the system is different from the rest of the uk) I have decent results and could probably get into uni courses. I’m completely lost at what I want to do, I don’t think I want to go to uni but I’m scared I’ll regret not going. When I leave I’ll still be 17 and will be for awhile so I’ll be missing out on the key uni experience. If I go to uni I’m scared I’ve committed myself to one course for the next 4 years that probably won’t be useful to me or I may hate it. If I take a gap year or go to college I’m worried I’ll regret not going to uni or that when all my friends are experiencing it I’ll be missing out. I’m so conflicted and I know I’ll probably regret my decision no matter what. I just have no clue what to do And my personal statement is due in under 2 weeks . If anyone is going through the same thing as me please tell me what your doing !
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I think you should do whatever you feel you want to do. I felt the same and took a gap year and applied to uni then... but that's not to say that would be the right thing for you!
Firstly, don't panic. I know a year may seem like a dauntingly long time but if you take a gap year and do regret it, it's not that long, it's only the difference of a year in the course of your life. I know it feels like a lot now but don't panic- you can't go far wrong with it.
Besides, it is best to know what you actually want to study at uni and pick the right course. You can always transfer or drop out and reapply etc if you do change your mind, but if anything in my opinion it would be harder to start a course and leave it then take a gap year and think about it.
I hope this helps in some way. I just wish someone had told me not to panic- as massive as these decisions feel in a couple of years things will have worked out however you got there- you won't be trapped into doing something you don't want, you can always change.
Original post by historynerd47
Hi, I think you should do whatever you feel you want to do. I felt the same and took a gap year and applied to uni then... but that's not to say that would be the right thing for you!
Firstly, don't panic. I know a year may seem like a dauntingly long time but if you take a gap year and do regret it, it's not that long, it's only the difference of a year in the course of your life. I know it feels like a lot now but don't panic- you can't go far wrong with it.
Besides, it is best to know what you actually want to study at uni and pick the right course. You can always transfer or drop out and reapply etc if you do change your mind, but if anything in my opinion it would be harder to start a course and leave it then take a gap year and think about it.
I hope this helps in some way. I just wish someone had told me not to panic- as massive as these decisions feel in a couple of years things will have worked out however you got there- you won't be trapped into doing something you don't want, you can always change.

Thank you so much ! What you’ve said has really helped . It’s just confusing and I think I’ll probably take a gap year or go to college for a year cause that’s better than applying for uni and being trapped in a course I don’t like cause I probably wouldn’t have the confidence to drop or change it. If I do regret the gap year or going to college like I hope it won’t matter as much cause I will have just turned 18 at that time. Thank you so much again it’s just a stressful time.
Have a look at alternatives - this is a good site to get ideas : https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/

There is no rush to 'go to Uni'. It will all still be there next year, or in 5 years time.

Its perfectly okay to have a 'planned gap year' and do an apprenticeship, get a job, do some travel etc, and think about applying for Uni later. Nowhere does it say that you can only go to Uni straight from school. Lots of people go 'later', and that is perfectly okay.
Original post by McGinger
Have a look at alternatives - this is a good site to get ideas : https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/

There is no rush to 'go to Uni'. It will all still be there next year, or in 5 years time.

Its perfectly okay to have a 'planned gap year' and do an apprenticeship, get a job, do some travel etc, and think about applying for Uni later. Nowhere does it say that you can only go to Uni straight from school. Lots of people go 'later', and that is perfectly okay.

Thank you so much for your reply. Yeah I don’t think I am going next year now I might apply to one/ two University’s this year just incase I change my mind cause I’m such a indecisive person. I’ll definitely have a look on the website thank you !
Original post by Ell.04
Thank you so much ! What you’ve said has really helped . It’s just confusing and I think I’ll probably take a gap year or go to college for a year cause that’s better than applying for uni and being trapped in a course I don’t like cause I probably wouldn’t have the confidence to drop or change it. If I do regret the gap year or going to college like I hope it won’t matter as much cause I will have just turned 18 at that time. Thank you so much again it’s just a stressful time.

That's okay, no worries! Good luck 😊
Original post by historynerd47
That's okay, no worries! Good luck 😊

Lol how things changed I’m now applying to uni for history and politics I feel so much more confident with the choice than law which I was sure I would hate. Just hoping I get in but if I don’t then it’s an unplanned gap year 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending