The Student Room Group

Dropping out due to health problems

To give some context, I have ehlers danlos syndrome, fibromyalgia, POTs, and a whole cocktail of mental health issues. In short I am almost constantly in pain, tired, struggling to walk, feeling sick, feelingd dizzy, all that fun stuff. I always try and ignore all this and go on with life regardless. However, I think going to university was a step too far for me. Moving away from my support system, to a place where I have to do everything on my own, where its loud and busy all the time and people are everywhere. I haven't even started classes yet and I feel more exhausted and in pain than ive felt in a long time. And thats not even mentioning the anxiety im feeling constantly, and the way my depression is becoming worse. I think I'll have to drop out, I just feel dumb because it's only been two days and I haven't even had a single class yet.
Any advice for the dropping out process? Or just any words of comfort? This has been a really stressful time
If you don’t feel comfortable dropping out completely, you can suspend your studies. Contact SFE immediately and tell them the situation.

In terms of advice:

I have chronic fatigue syndrome as well (I think that’s what you mean by fibromyalgia). It actually can cause severe depression.

I’ve just ordered a batch of a medication to help cope and deal with it to be honest.

I noticed the walking (because of commuting) has helped my physical fitness or stamina enough to keep up with going to places.

I also have paranoid schizophrenia. That’s more or less under check as far as the really bad symptoms are concerned.

Again, I’m medicating myself to deal with any bad effects.

If you want details on how to help yourself mentally I can help more via DM/PM , assuming you don’t want to drop out and want to get through the academic year. CFS is horrible. I’m managing to do full time uni and part time work.

Good luck either way. I hope you recover from CFS. It is horrible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending