The Student Room Group

Made 0 friends at college

I'm currently in year 13 and I've made 0 friends in college. I speak to everyone I'm sat with and ever have been sat with in all my classes and even kinda became acquaintances with them but I just wouldn't consider any of then friends as I don't speak to any of them outside of lesson. All of my good friends from secondary either go to different colleges or did an apprenticeship and most of them have made friends they chill with at frees and even outside of school whereas for me the most I've done was sat with acquaintances from class when the teacher wasn't there and we were set work but could go.

Anyways I wanted to know if at uni making friends will be easier because at college basically everyone I speak to in lessons hangs out in large friend groups filled with people I dont know at all and I'm not confident enough nor am I good friends with the acquaintances in all my lessons enough to sit with them.

So yeah all I want to know is it is easier to make friends at Uni than college and any help on making friends at college? Making acquaintances and speaking and laughing and joking to them in lessons is fairly straightforward for me it's just I'm struggling to turn these acquaintances into friends.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently in year 13 and I've made 0 friends in college. I speak to everyone I'm sat with and ever have been sat with in all my classes and even kinda became acquaintances with them but I just wouldn't consider any of then friends as I don't speak to any of them outside of lesson. All of my good friends from secondary either go to different colleges or did an apprenticeship and most of them have made friends they chill with at frees and even outside of school whereas for me the most I've done was sat with acquaintances from class when the teacher wasn't there and we were set work but could go.

Anyways I wanted to know if at uni making friends will be easier because at college basically everyone I speak to in lessons hangs out in large friend groups filled with people I dont know at all and I'm not confident enough nor am I good friends with the acquaintances in all my lessons enough to sit with them.

So yeah all I want to know is it is easier to make friends at Uni than college and any help on making friends at college? Making acquaintances and speaking and laughing and joking to them in lessons is fairly straightforward for me it's just I'm struggling to turn these acquaintances into friends.

Short answer: yes.
Long(ish) answer: Uni is a lot bigger, so there's gonna be a whole variety of people you'll meet (so more chance of finding people you dig). Also there's less likely to be big groups formed quickly at uni at the beginning, because most people are in the same boat and don't know anyone, so you won't have to feel like you're the odd one out there. Honestly I think you'll do great in uni. Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by XKangaotiCX
Short answer: yes.
Long(ish) answer: Uni is a lot bigger, so there's gonna be a whole variety of people you'll meet (so more chance of finding people you dig). Also there's less likely to be big groups formed quickly at uni at the beginning, because most people are in the same boat and don't know anyone, so you won't have to feel like you're the odd one out there. Honestly I think you'll do great in uni. Best of luck :biggrin:

Thank you so much
I only just saw your response now but thanks. At college my main problem making friends was that I didn't know anyone and everyone I spoke to were in big friend groups. It's gold that I might have another chance at making friends then at Uni. Is it easy to then get a big friend group after a few weeks of Uni and do you become friends with people who aren't even in any of your lessons easily though or do people only really speak to those they know from their classes in general?

College isn’t a pub, it’s to learn, just go in then go home and get your qualifications. If you want friends go to the pub
Reply 4
College isn’t a pub, it’s to learn, just go in then go home and get your qualifications. If you want friends go to the pub

I'm not 18 until August 2021 so why would i go to the pub? I'm just saying though that everyone I know has made friends and i havent I've just made a bunch of acquaintances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending