The Student Room Group

Skinny or skinny fat?

How do you know if you are skinny fat, skinny or fat, or getting fat?
1. I'm skinny but have a bit of fat around my abdomen
2. I no longer need a belt for a particular pair of jeans, and another pair feels a bit tighter
3. I eat a lot, but don't gain MUCH weight. I can't get over 140lbs

Any clarification? And any advice on how to gain weight? I'm 18 and around 5'7.
What do you eat that makes you gain weight quickly?

Is it mostly dairy, carbs or oily food?
Reply 2
Original post by leopard202
What do you eat that makes you gain weight quickly?

Is it mostly dairy, carbs or oily food?

I've no idea. I did try and count my calories but I think it was all incorrect and units of measurement weren't legitimate. I have fairly healthy meals, but I snack on 'junk food'. Crisps and Chocolate etc.
Don't eat fatty foods to gain weight.

Eat a lot of protein-rich foods so that you can (with the help of exercise) gain muscle, and so gain weight this way.
Reply 4
Original post by Bagarigak
Don't eat fatty foods to gain weight.

Eat a lot of protein-rich foods so that you can (with the help of exercise) gain muscle, and so gain weight this way.

What are examples of protein-rich foods?
How long do you think it will take?
What are examples of fatty foods?
Can I still eat them? XD
Original post by Cappucino01
What are examples of protein-rich foods?
Found this article: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/20-delicious-high-protein-foods#TOC_TITLE_HDR_5
How long do you think it will take?
That depends on you ☺️ Don’t think about how long it takes. Just go for it! #took me 1.5 weeks lol but I gained weight healthily (by gaining muscle)
What are examples of fatty foods?
Chips, fried food etc..
Can I still eat them? XD
No:biggrin: EDIT: yh no harm to every now and then. I initially assumed that you were trying to lose weight haha

To be honest, I am not sure if I am the right person to advise you as I am trying to gain weight lol. EDIT: just realised you are trying to gain weight too haha. Yh, so try gaining weight through muscle and not by eating fatty foods. I gained weight by eating protein rich foods and doing my daily running ( more like sprinting) in the park - my legs are more muscular if that makes haha

Discipline is key here. Sometimes your motivation may falter and you might slip back into old habits. You need to make sure you stick to the healthy eating rules you have set for yourself to try and reach that end goal.

I’ve replied to you above in bold in the quotation bracket ^^
(edited 3 years ago)
Don't rely on vegetable sources of protein, very hard to get enough protein from them and they are not very high quality.
You seem okay as you're right in the middle of normal on a BMI chart.

Spoiler

2. I no longer need a belt for a particular pair of jeans, and another pair feels a bit tighter

Fellow skinny fat here! I am a 5'7 female but 108lbs. My BMI is 16.9 so its quite low but I don't restrict myself and I have little muscle mass. I literally have a lower belly pooch. I did a lean bulk for 6 weeks and then a cut for 6 weeks and I am just doing that over and over to gain muscle and lose fat. But its difficult being skinny fat because I don't want to be too underweight but I don't want to gain weight when I already have fat squishing about. My upper arms are mostly fat because of the lack of muscle.
I would wear jeans and because I have no butt they would fall bellow my belly fat and then sit there in an uncomfortable position, I hate it.

There is not much evidence to suggest that a high fat diet causes weight gain, it is more like refined sugars. Skinny fat people are underweight or a lower healthy weight but quite flabby. I wish I was just skinny or fat so I could fix the problem through one route rather than cycles.

Anyways, hope you figure it out but I just wanted to tell you what issues you may have if you're skinny fat like me.

Before trying to figure out if you are "skinny fat," you should understand what that term means. Skinny fat is a non-medical term to describe people that appear to be "in-shape" but actually have high body fat and low muscle mass. According to studies, 20% of the population falls under the umbrella of skinny fat. It is impossible for us to tell you if you are skinny fat or not without knowing your body fat percentage, but you can learn more about it here, so you can find out for yourself: https://www.openfit.com/what-is-skinny-fat

In terms of gaining weight, why do you want to do so? Do you want to put on muscle or do you think that you are just too skinny? If you feel like you are skinny fat, I'm not sure why you would want to gain weight rather than lose the bit you have. Gaining fat is never good, so if you do want to gain weight, you should do so by building muscle. Building muscle is arguably one of the hardest things to achieve in the gym, because it takes determination and commitment, to both a diet and exercise routine. This will be a journey where you learn a lot of new things, and change your workouts, but as long as you stay committed, you can start gaining muscle mass. I would recommend going to see a trainer at your local gym so that you can learn all the basics, but for now, here are some simple upper body workouts that you can even do at home: https://www.openfit.com/best-upper-body-workout
Reply 10
I used to be really thin but now I am a good size. I found a website called instantweightgain dot com and I put heaps of weight on fast. I wasn't sure to begin with but after trying everything else I gave it a two week course and never looked back. I'm now more confident and feel better going out.

Quick Reply

Latest