The Student Room Group

Can my ucas choices be slightly different?

Would I be able to put one choice as law with American studies for example and then another for a different uni but for law with politics? If so, do I need to include this in my personal statement or do I just write it about law in general?
Reply 1
Firstly absolutely you can apply to different courses in UCAS. Although it's best if they're related. As yours are both Law related that should be fine.

Your personal statement needs to convince the admissions tutor that you are committed to their subject. So if you apply for Law with American Studies and Law and Politics etc but just write generally about Law in your PS, you might not have an as stronger personal statement as someone who wrote a personal statement strongly committed to one or the other.

However, if you can demonstrate that you are not only committed to law but also American Studies and Politics in your personal statement as well as Law then it will be fine. For example, you might choose to write a personal statement predominantly law related but then dedicate a section to American politics and shoot two birds with one stone, or perhaps dedicate a section each for Politics and American studies. Or you could, and this is overcomplicating things slightly, write about how Law and Politics are intertwined and apply that to America/The Americas.

When I applied, I applied to 2 Law Courses, 2 Politics courses and 1 Law and Politics course. I, therefore, had a 50/50 split between law and politics, this got me offers from excellent universities. Although I will confess I was rejected by one university although it didn't have anything to do with my personal statement. If you have any questions feel free to dm me or reply to this post.

(p.s.) I personally wouldn't recommend you apply to any more than 3 different courses. If you apply to Law and Politics and Law with American studies don't do any more different courses unless it's just pure Law. Then your personal statement may end up being too varied and will become quite weak.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by maddie579
Would I be able to put one choice as law with American studies for example and then another for a different uni but for law with politics? If so, do I need to include this in my personal statement or do I just write it about law in general?

Are you applying to Oxbridge?
Reply 3
Original post by Tinders
Firstly absolutely you can apply to different courses in UCAS. Although it's best if they're related. As yours are both Law related that should be fine.

Your personal statement needs to convince the admissions tutor that you are committed to their subject. So if you apply for Law with American Studies and Law and Politics etc but just write generally about Law in your PS, you might not have an as stronger personal statement as someone who wrote a personal statement strongly committed to one or the other.

However, if you can demonstrate that you are not only committed to law but also American Studies and Politics in your personal statement as well as Law then it will be fine. For example, you might choose to write a personal statement predominantly law related but then dedicate a section to American politics and shoot two birds with one stone, or perhaps dedicate a section each for Politics and American studies. Or you could, and this is overcomplicating things slightly, write about how Law and Politics are intertwined and apply that to America/The Americas.

When I applied, I applied to 2 Law Courses, 2 Politics courses and 1 Law and Politics course. I, therefore, had a 50/50 split between law and politics, this got me offers from excellent universities. Although I will confess I was rejected by one university although it didn't have anything to do with my personal statement. If you have any questions feel free to dm me or reply to this post.

(p.s.) I personally wouldn't recommend you apply to any more than 3 different courses. If you apply to Law and Politics and Law with American studies don't do any more different courses unless it's just pure Law. Then your personal statement may end up being too varied and will become quite weak.

Thank you this was really helpful! I think I’m going to do one law with American studies and the rest law with politics and maybe 1 straight law
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
Are you applying to Oxbridge?

Nope
Reply 5
Original post by maddie579
Thank you this was really helpful! I think I’m going to do one law with American studies and the rest law with politics and maybe 1 straight law

sounds great! I hope it works out for you:smile:
Also worth looking for Law and Law/Politics courses that have study abroad possibilities in the USA - the course doesn't have to have 'with Study Abroad' in the degree title, its possible to go overseas on most degrees.

One example - York : https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/study-abroad/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending