The Student Room Group

Taking EPQ is useless

Scroll to see replies

Original post by peachmilk
I am right. I know many people who went to state sixth forms and they didn't take EPQ since it wasn't offered. I went on private school websites and of course, I found a whole essay about taking EPQ.

Some schools are fortunate enough to offer EPQs, others aren't. This isn't a debate about private schools vs state schools. EPQ is clearly advantageous which is why universities recommend it.
Original post by boulderingislife
You must have a pretty boring existence if you need to take EPQ to have something to talk about in your personal statement :rolleyes:

:biggrin: I suppose so! Gave me more to talk about at my interviews though 🤷and it seems to have worked.
Ok, but do your teachers look over your work or is it completely independent study?

I had a supervisor, they weren't particularly useful until the first draft stage of the project but they set internal deadlines which helped keep me on track. I'd say a majority of it is definitely independent though.
Reply 23
Original post by fijitastic
Clearly you haven't done your research. I may be biased since I am a private school student as you described but their are many advantages to EPQs. Firstly, like @acheloisina said you can get lower entry requirements if you receive an A/A* in your EPQ. Not all universities offer this but the ones that do believe that EPQ's put you ahead of other student as it's one of the only times that you get to study independently and research everything by yourself, it gives you a taster of what university is like. Secondly, you learn lots of techniques in your EPQ such as harvard referencing which you normally wouldn't have known about before. I remember my friend going to uni and she had an assignment where the lecturer told them to use harvard referencing and because she took the EPQ she already knew how to do it when most of the other students couldn't. Thirdly, just because it's half an A Level doesn't mean it's not worth it. Yes, for subjects like medicine I don't think it makes much of a difference because they focus more on your grades, UCAT/BMAT score and interview. You get UCAS points from it and it's great to use on your personal statement. Definitely makes you stand out from your peers and shows you have a passion for the subject you want to study at uni (if that's what your EPQ is based on)

I have done my research. Why would I come and say it's useless without researching about it and knowing other people who have taken it before. I know someone who got into a Russell Group university and didn't talk about it in the interview at all. (They took EPQ)
(edited 3 years ago)
My university didn't care about extracurriculars, they cared that I had written a 5,000 word academic history essay and got an A* for it. Exactly what I would be doing at university. What apart from grades and personal statement could be more important than that for a history degree? Already doing the stuff I now do at uni in year 12, perfect
The EPQ is a perfect example to show your interest / passion for your subject, if the EPQ is related to your university course. If you have an interview, they can talk about that.

It demonstrates planning, organisation, research skills, it's basically a mini dissertation. My EPQ report is currently well over the 5000 word recommendation (it's at 9k) so very similar in length to a dissertation. I learnt how to use referencing which is a very key university skill

If you dont do an EPQ then you have few options to talk about to demonstrate your interest in the subject. Reading a book or two is not the same as undertaking a 9/10/12 month extended project on a topic that interests you

If you don't want to do it then fine lol but no need to spread your negativity to people who do and enjoy it :u:
Ok, but do your teachers look over your work or is it completely independent study?

Mine marked my draft and then the actual finished product, which was then moderated internally and externally, if you mean do they look over your actual essay?

But yeah it is mostly independent study, that's sort of the point of the EPQ. A lot of the times, people start an EPQ without realising how independent it requires you to be.
I am right. I know many people who went to state sixth forms and they didn't take EPQ since it wasn't offered. I went on private school websites and of course, I found a whole essay about taking EPQ.

I go to a state sixth form and EPQ is compulsory for us alongside our 3/4 alevels
Original post by gullyyt
:biggrin: I suppose so! Gave me more to talk about at my interviews though 🤷and it seems to have worked.

I talked about climbing in my personal statement. Few interviewers asked about it. Is a bit of an unusual sport for a 17/18 year old to do so went down well I guess.

Sport is a good topic to talk about imo. :smile:

PS: edited my previous post, go see edit.
I am right.

As soon as you said this, I stopped reading.

If you're convinced of your narrow point of view, this thread is unnecessary. I went to a state sixth form college, it was offered. In fact, the grand majority of my friends went to state schools and colleges - they all offered EPQ. None of them have ever attended private school. Unless you're now telling me that you've looked at every private and state school's course offering in the entire UK then you're not 'right', you're simply being arrogant here.

Don't worry though, I've done the research you've neglected to do yourself.

Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 14.17.30.png

sourced from: https://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/Images/307404-key-statistics-on-the-extended-project-qualification-2008-2015.pdf - you can find further details if you look for them, I'm not going to do it for you - but you're basing all of your thoughts on EPQ on mere assumption, not facts.
Reply 30
Original post by moso2203
The EPQ is a perfect example to show your interest / passion for your subject, if the EPQ is related to your university course. If you have an interview, they can talk about that.

It demonstrates planning, organisation, research skills, it's basically a mini dissertation. My EPQ report is currently well over the 5000 word recommendation (it's at 9k) so very similar in length to a dissertation. I learnt how to use referencing which is a very key university skill

If you dont do an EPQ then you have few options to talk about to demonstrate your interest in the subject. Reading a book or two is not the same as undertaking a 9/10/12 month extended project on a topic that interests you

If you don't want to do it then fine lol but no need to spread your negativity to people who do and enjoy it :u:

I'm not being negative to anyone, I just think it's useless, it's my opinion.
Original post by Torigracex
I have a feeling you don’t really know much about EPQ. A lot of people do a mini dissertation for their product (you have to do a full one in uni), so it teaches you how to find sources, quote them properly in your writing, it’s fab essay writing practice etc etc etc. It helped me in interviews for uni because I did my essay on something very relatable to my course, so I was able to show I know a lot of information about an important topic (and guess what, I got in). It does in fact lower the entry requirements to many different unis and courses if you achieve a high enough grade, and I went to a state school and got an A* in it.

State comp or grammar school? :pierre:
Reply 32
Original post by Paracosm
As soon as you said this, I stopped reading.

If you're convinced of your narrow point of view, this thread is unnecessary. I went to a state sixth form college, it was offered. In fact, the grand majority of my friends went to state schools and colleges - they all offered EPQ. None of them have ever attended private school. Unless you're now telling me that you've looked at every private and state school's course offering in the entire UK then you're not 'right', you're simply being arrogant here.

Don't worry though, I've done the research you've neglected to do yourself.

Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 14.17.30.png

sourced from: https://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/Images/307404-key-statistics-on-the-extended-project-qualification-2008-2015.pdf - you can find further details if you look for them, I'm not going to do it for you - but you're basing all of your thoughts on EPQ on mere assumption, not facts.

Why would I come here saying EPQ is useless, without researching it? Also, your graph just proved my point. There's only a 1.8+ difference in score from normal A-level students. ''It's not statistically significant' just proved EPQ is useless according to Cambridge, top uni in the world.
Reply 33
Original post by historynerd47
My university didn't care about extracurriculars, they cared that I had written a 5,000 word academic history essay and got an A* for it. Exactly what I would be doing at university. What apart from grades and personal statement could be more important than that for a history degree? Already doing the stuff I now do at uni in year 12, perfect

Well, most universities want you to be different from other applicants. What if all applicants to the university did it and got an A*? You wouldn't stand out regardless of what you did on it.
Reply 34
Alright but if EPQ took up all your time because you're doing it on a subject you don't thoroughly know, would you just turn up to the interview with A-level results and an EPQ without any extracurricular activities? How are you meant to compete with the other applicants?

1. It shouldn't be taking up all your time
2. If you are doing it on a subject that wont interest you, or is not useful for your application, then yes, it will be a waste of time as you said.
You should have enough time to get good grades, do an interesting eqp and have some extracurriculars.
Well, most universities want you to be different from other applicants. What if all applicants to the university did it and got an A*? You wouldn't stand out regardless of what you did on it.

That's like saying what if everyone got all A*s and applied? And yes it was vital it was on history as they don't care if I can research a scientific topic do they, it would be far less relevant.
And no, the vast majority of universities would be far more interested in my academic history research than what I do in my spare time
Why would I come here saying EPQ is useless, without researching it? Also, your graph just proved my point. There's only a 1.8+ difference in score from normal A-level students. ''It's not statistically significant' just proved EPQ is useless according to Cambridge, top uni in the world.

😂 Why would you take an EPQ expecting it to get you a better grade in your core subjects? That doesn't make it useless- there's just no statistical link between doing an EPQ and getting good a-levels. You take it because you want to research something you're interested in and gain an insight into the skills that you'll be using in university.

You'd stand out based on the essay title you chose/ the process you went through? No two people are gonna have the same EPQ experience.
Reply 37
Original post by historynerd47
That's like saying what if everyone got all A*s and applied? And yes it was vital it was on history as they don't care if I can research a scientific topic do they, it would be far less relevant.
And no, the vast majority of universities would be far more interested in my academic history research than what I do in my spare time

No, I disagree universities want to know what you do in your spare time. They don't want to know that you just study a lot, they want to see your personality.
Only the posh people from private schools take that, it's not useful at all. It's not even a full A-level so why do it??

I'm from a very deprived area and doing one...? As long as you're good at time management you can do one, study A-Levels and do extra curricular. Plus it's free UCAS points so might as well. you know?
Reply 39

Well yes, if you are applying to cambridge/oxford then yes, EPQ doesn't contribute too much and if you do do it, then you are expected to get A* on it. However, for other universities, you can get the requirements dropped down.
Getting an A in EQP is easier than getting an A in A levels (Depends on subject, and this is just from my personal experiences) yet some russel group universities are willing to drop an A*AA requirement to an AAA or AAB requirement if you do it. This would take quite a bit of pressure off from less able students.

Quick Reply

Latest