The Student Room Group

Can I get into a Russel group university with bad GCSE grades?

Hello, I am currently on my second year of doing A levels and but Im unsure if I’ll be able to go to the universities I want with my GCSE grades. I got 7 grade 4’s and 2 grade 3’s. So I basically got 7 C’s and failed 2 subjects. That was my own fault since I didn’t try at all. However, I’m currently homeschooled studying A levels and I’m predicted A*AA in psychology, philosophy and English literature. I want to study law at either Kings college London or Bristol but I’m not sure if I have a chance with my GCSE’s. Should I take a year off to redo them or hope for the best when I apply ?
Reply 1
Original post by Vikibud3
Hello, I am currently on my second year of doing A levels and but Im unsure if I’ll be able to go to the universities I want with my GCSE grades. I got 7 grade 4’s and 2 grade 3’s. So I basically got 7 C’s and failed 2 subjects. That was my own fault since I didn’t try at all. However, I’m currently homeschooled studying A levels and I’m predicted A*AA in psychology, philosophy and English literature. I want to study law at either Kings college London or Bristol but I’m not sure if I have a chance with my GCSE’s. Should I take a year off to redo them or hope for the best when I apply ?

Hi, it depends on the course, for example to study computer science at high rated UNI you do indeed also need a garde A at maths GCSE
Reply 2
You should check the GCSE grade requirements for the course. The course that I want to do requires a 6 in maths but I only got a 4 and so I’m retaking it. If I don’t, I believe that they wouldn’t look further at my application

How hard have you looked at their websites?

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/law-llb Need GCSE Bs in English lang and lit [check whether they accept retakes]

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/law/llb-law/ Need grade B English [check whether they accept retakes]

Plus who has predicted you A*AA if you are homeschooled? It seems somewhat on the generous side which unis like Kings and Bristol will pick up on

Quick Reply

Latest