The Student Room Group

Occupational therapy

Is it possible to apply for an occupational therapy course without taking Biology for a-levels?? ( I took a-level psychology but could not do bio because of my GCSE grades)
Original post by mango-love
Is it possible to apply for an occupational therapy course without taking Biology for a-levels?? ( I took a-level psychology but could not do bio because of my GCSE grades)

Have you had a look at the university entry requirements?
Reply 2
Original post by Hazelly
Have you had a look at the university entry requirements?

Yes, Most universities require a science(biology preferred) a- level- I'm not too sure if I can do occupational therapy- with no science a level- so should I change careers?
They do look at work/volunteering experience.

I am a mature student and occupational Therapy is my second degree my first was in Electronic and Computer Engineering so my A Levels are very engineering science-y, not biology science-y. However I have worked (and volunteered) with people who have disabilities and that helped with the lack of biology.

It might be worthwhile looking for volunteering opportunities - there might be online options or being a befriender.

There are also online courses through Open Learn which might help show true interest in learning.

I am studying at Queen Margaret University (I am actually doing the BSc - I was the last year before they added the MOccTher) and I have posted the entry requirements below - I have added comments in bold and underline.

This is the current entry requirements for the MOccTher - there are exit options at BSc still.

Scottish Higher: Standard - BBBB, Minimum - BBCC
A Level: BCC
Irish Leaving Certificate: H2 H2 H3 H3
International Baccalaureate: 28 points
International: TBC

Required subjects: English is preferred, or a discursive subject such as History or Sociology at Higher, A Level or equivalent.
English and Maths at Nat 5/GCSE. As you can see no mention of Biology.

Mature/Access: Related Access course or HNC may be considered for Year One see www.qmu.ac.uk/college-qualifications

We welcome applications from mature students with other relevant qualifications and experience.

Direct Entry:

Year Two HNC Occupational Therapy Support with B in the graded unit, plus successful fieldwork placement, when places available. Other relevant qualifications may be considered for entry to Year One.

Other requirements:

A satisfactory criminal records check is required
You will be required to attend an interview as part of the application screening process.
Some experience working or volunteering with different groups of people is required (i.e. older or younger people with different health or life situations).
This was what I meant by looking into volunteering options.

Hope this helps a bit, don't give up just because you don't have biology - a good occupational therapist looks at the problem and finds a way to solve it even if it's unconventional.

I will try to answer questions if you have any.
Reply 4
Original post by ladyasprin
They do look at work/volunteering experience.

I am a mature student and occupational Therapy is my second degree my first was in Electronic and Computer Engineering so my A Levels are very engineering science-y, not biology science-y. However I have worked (and volunteered) with people who have disabilities and that helped with the lack of biology.

It might be worthwhile looking for volunteering opportunities - there might be online options or being a befriender.

There are also online courses through Open Learn which might help show true interest in learning.

I am studying at Queen Margaret University (I am actually doing the BSc - I was the last year before they added the MOccTher) and I have posted the entry requirements below - I have added comments in bold and underline.

This is the current entry requirements for the MOccTher - there are exit options at BSc still.

Scottish Higher: Standard - BBBB, Minimum - BBCC
A Level: BCC
Irish Leaving Certificate: H2 H2 H3 H3
International Baccalaureate: 28 points
International: TBC

Required subjects: English is preferred, or a discursive subject such as History or Sociology at Higher, A Level or equivalent.
English and Maths at Nat 5/GCSE. As you can see no mention of Biology.

Mature/Access: Related Access course or HNC may be considered for Year One see www.qmu.ac.uk/college-qualifications

We welcome applications from mature students with other relevant qualifications and experience.

Direct Entry:

Year Two HNC Occupational Therapy Support with B in the graded unit, plus successful fieldwork placement, when places available. Other relevant qualifications may be considered for entry to Year One.

Other requirements:

A satisfactory criminal records check is required
You will be required to attend an interview as part of the application screening process.
Some experience working or volunteering with different groups of people is required (i.e. older or younger people with different health or life situations).
This was what I meant by looking into volunteering options.

Hope this helps a bit, don't give up just because you don't have biology - a good occupational therapist looks at the problem and finds a way to solve it even if it's unconventional.

I will try to answer questions if you have any.ib

Thank you so much!! This really helps- I will try my best to find some work experiences now
hey where are you thinking of applying, as i dont do biology either?
Original post by Tkt12345
hey where are you thinking of applying, as i dont do biology either?

Come up to Scotland and join us at Queen Margaret University!!!

Although there might be more funding for you if you stay in your home country (England or Wales or Northern Ireland)
Original post by mango-love
Thank you so much!! This really helps- I will try my best to find some work experiences now

As I said to Tkt12345 - maybe you should consider Queen Margaret University.

Although there might be more funding for you if you stay in your home country (England or Wales or Northern Ireland)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending