The Student Room Group

Taking a break from studies

This may be the most stupid question you'll ever see but...

Can I not study at all for the first term?

All the works are formative- they don't count as grades

Can I just literally not attend any classes and not submit assignments?
Bit of a tangent, but when I finished my HNC/HND and moved to BSc, we all wiped the floor with the preppy BSc kids, especially the ones who took 1st year as a skive. We didn't get any of this '1st year doesn't count' crap, if we didn't excel we didn't proceed, so we just saw these skiving students as a waste of space.
You could. But then exams will generally cover stuff from across the year. Sone subjects may be quite separate each module across the year (risky to only learn half but could get lucky in exams) and others build up each week.
Reply 3
There's usually things in place for this kind of situation, like minimum attendance criteria to remain enrolled on the course and get student finance. And despite the grades not actually counting, usually you need a minimum of 40% to be accepted onto 2nd year.

So in theory, if you played the system and minimum requirements of the course, yes you could. However in practise, I'd advise against it.
Original post by Anonymous

While they are formative, it is likely that if you didn't hand in anything/didn't attend you'd be considered as 'not engaging' and therefore get called to a meeting about it. If you don't engage at all for an extended period, it's likely that you'll be withdrawn from your course.
True and if you are on a visa you need to attend everything
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

It's very unlikely that you'll be doing courses that have no summative assessment, so you need to do whatever work is required to pass those. Depending on how the academic year is structured, you might find that the summative assessment takes place in January. I'd imagine that most courses you're doing will have some kind of written exams, and you're not going to do well in those if you're not attending classes.

Formative work might not be counted towards the grade for the course, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's optional. Not doing it also means that you don't get the benefit of doing the work, getting a mark for it, and most importantly getting feedback on how you've done and what you need to do in future to get better marks.

If you're not attending lectures or handing in work then there's a real possibility that your university will consider that you're not engaging with the course and might kick you off it.
nah not recommended

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending