The Student Room Group

EPQ: Why do we romantisize serial killers like ted bundy?

I had another epq idea but would this be okay to do? Is there certain rules for what you can do because I feel like this topic would have some touchy topics in it.
I doubt people romanticise them. They only try to understand why they do what they do. They aren’t in anyway more appealing than they are
Reply 2
oh people definetly romanticise them. it's disturbing. idk if it's appropriate for an EPQ (I'd imagine it's fine) but it would be sooo interesting!!
Original post by ehj5
oh people definetly romanticise them. it's disturbing. idk if it's appropriate for an EPQ (I'd imagine it's fine) but it would be sooo interesting!!

yes they do! and yeah I really want to do it so I might ask my teacher if I can (:
Original post by Designeddeath
I doubt people romanticise them. They only try to understand why they do what they do. They aren’t in anyway more appealing than they are

maybe not to you but to some people (many women) they are romantically attractive and I’m trying to find out why lol
I actually considered something like this! One thing that fascinates me is how looks can mean so much, for instance with Ted Bundy many people were simply attracted to him and so a twisted serial killer became a tortured object of desire. There are also cases of women marrying serial killers in prison as they're attracted to them (I always remember Richard Ramirez being a prime example for this), and it seems to me like those people would likely be very into rough sex and that kind of thing, although you may want to avoid that in your EPQ if you're not comfortable discussing it.

As far as I know, there are pretty much no limits as long as you discuss the topic in an appropriate way and you're guided by the facts. Other topics I considered were pedophilia and sex education (the former I did eventually decide was too emotive while the latter just fell through, so I'm now planning an artefact hopefully). Ask your supervisor, but I think this sounds like a great idea!
(edited 3 years ago)
Damn, sorry to butt in but that really sounds fascinating.

The point about insecurity is probably very important, and would probably work with less serious criminals too I think. I've always thought that some girls are attracted to 'bad boys' as it's an honour to be the exception to their violence/hatred, so in the case of serial killers maybe it feels empowering that you get to be the one to be so close to this man and survive. This might all be gibberish but still, interesting to discuss. OP would have a great time doing this project I bet aha.
Original post by ashtolga23
I actually considered something like this! One thing that fascinates me is how looks can mean so much, for instance with Ted Bundy many people were simply attracted to him and so a twisted serial killer became a tortured object of desire. There are also cases of women marrying serial killers in prison as they're attracted to them (I always remember Richard Ramirez being a prime example for this), and it seems to me like those people would likely be very into rough sex and that kind of thing, although you may want to avoid that in your EPQ if you're not comfortable discussing it.

As far as I know, there are pretty much no limits as long as you discuss the topic in an appropriate way and you're guided by the facts. Other topics I considered were pedophilia and sex education (the former I did eventually decide was too emotive while the latter just fell through, so I'm now planning an artefact hopefully). Ask your supervisor, but I think this sounds like a great idea!

Thank you so much !!

Thankyou !! This is a really good link :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending