The Student Room Group

My sister is quite stressed.

My sister, in Year 9 in HK, the year before she picks her subjects for HKDSE in the next 3 years, is enduring a very stressful time. She keeps complaining about most of her teachers. Here are some examples:
1. Chinese teacher (let’s call her M): She was not teaching well in class, and spent literally the whole lesson on drawing. She checks writing at a very strict standard and the characters have to be written identical to the standard form on the computer. She does not explain the homework problems well. My sister, a gifted Chinese student, unexpectedly said that she will fail Chinese under M.
2. Chinese history teacher (L): He asks for TOO MUCH content for a quiz, and does not print the pictures on the paper well, causing HALF of the class to fail.
3. Business foundation teacher (H): He does not teach in a way that my sister can understand.
4. English teacher: She is asking for excessive corrections for tests.
At the same time, she will be having 11 tests in a week, despite a good teacher (Biology teacher, P) postponing her test and detailedly provides a study guide. She had to study non-stop till midnight every day.
How should we speak to my sister just now?
11 tests?! My gosh, that is a lot. Maybe you should support her a lot: bring her lots of snacks and make sure she gets good sleep. You could even help her with her revision by making a timetable or something like that. I hope everything is ok.
Reply 2
Original post by summerberry19
11 tests?! My gosh, that is a lot. Maybe you should support her a lot: bring her lots of snacks and make sure she gets good sleep. You could even help her with her revision by making a timetable or something like that. I hope everything is ok.

This is not the first week that her number of tests reached double digits. Earlier in October she had a week with 10 tests. She has her first set of exams in 2 weeks, and despite her teachers teaching at a very fast pace, there are no changes to the syllabus, which is insane!
When there was an extra holiday, the teachers will give her a TON of homework to do. I think this is to make sure that all of the year 9 classes will have to stay home all day and reduce the chance of them catching COVID. However, this stresses her, as she got an extra 12 pieces of homework for just ONE EXTRA DAY OFF.
When I was her age my maximum was only 6 tests in a week!
Off topic but is your parents strict? Maybe they can help in a way?
Reply 4
This situation happened YET AGAIN.
The school has just held a singing contest as classes from years 7-9 compete against each other. However, the teachers didn't stop giving tests to her class. She had an English oral test, a Maths test, a Chemistry test and a Geography test in the space of three days. She also has a lot of tasks to submit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending