The Student Room Group

I don’t like my uni choices

Hi, I’ve applied for law at Cambridge, Nottingham, Newcastle, Leeds and Manchester Met but recently found that I would prefer to study Liberal Arts.

I am keeping Cambridge and Manchester the same.
I can email to switch courses at Notts and Newcastle (hopefully they let me)
I want to swap Leeds for Birmingham.
Anyone know how I can do that? Can I withdraw from Leeds and just apply directly to Birmingham?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NestleCrunch
Hi, I’ve applied for law at Cambridge, Nottingham, Newcastle, Leeds and Manchester Met but recently found that I would prefer to study Liberal Arts.

Anyone know how I can do that? Can I withdraw from Leeds and just apply directly to Birmingham?

You can only change a university within 14 days of applying so you are stuck with Leeds. The only other option would be to reject ALL your options and apply through ucas extra in February. You would then only be able to apply to 1 at a time and wouldnt have an insurance choice.

Unless you are in within 14 days of applying, you can't switch Unis.
If you are within the 14 days, you need to contact UCAS to do this.

You can ask each Uni to for a course switch (even after you have an offer) and assuming you meet the entry requirements for the new course, most Unis will agree to this. Contact each Uni to do this, not UCAS.

What do you intend to do with your liberal arts degree after?
Original post by 999tigger
What do you intend to do with your liberal arts degree after?

Thinking of doing a Law conversion course then a masters in Law.
Original post by swanseajack1
You can only change a university within 14 days of applying so you are stuck with Leeds. The only other option would be to reject ALL your options and apply through ucas extra in February. You would then only be able to apply to 1 at a time and wouldnt have an insurance choice.

Do you have to withdraw from all ur options to enter clearing?
Thinking of doing a Law conversion course then a masters in Law.

Wont really work like that, but you can google it yourself. SQE have fun.
Reply 7
Do you have to withdraw from all ur options to enter clearing?

Yes, if you use by Extra or Clearing then you must have no offers.
Original post by 999tigger
Wont really work like that, but you can google it yourself. SQE have fun.

Pls don’t be passive aggressive; I obviously know the GDL is changing to SQE but I don’t need to do it because I want to qualify as a barrister anyway :h:
Original post by Sinnoh
Yes, if you use by Extra or Clearing then you must have no offers.

i’m internally screaming
Sorry I don't really know much about Law, but I'm just curious as I've got a friend in a similar situation (like she'd applied for Law, but now wants to do International Relations in order to do Law after), but her parents didn't allow her to do so.. If you want to end up doing Law in the end, why would you not just do LLB Law & go from there? Wouldn't that path be a lot more simple than having to do Law conversion courses, etc.
Apologies if I sound really misinformed, I just am genuinely curious!
Original post by confuzzledteen
Sorry I don't really know much about Law, but I'm just curious as I've got a friend in a similar situation (like she'd applied for Law, but now wants to do International Relations in order to do Law after), but her parents didn't allow her to do so.. If you want to end up doing Law in the end, why would you not just do LLB Law & go from there? Wouldn't that path be a lot more simple than having to do Law conversion courses, etc.

Well I mean, from what I know, a Law degree will be 3 years but the conversion course will only be like 1 year + whatever other courses you need to become a barrister (probs like an extra year). So a Law degree covers a lot of Law but the conversion course basically only covers the essential 7 areas (e.g. Criminal, Tort etc..) so if you don't wanna sit around learning Law for 3 years and would rather study something more enjoyable for 3 years and then later just get the bare essentials for law, then it seems a conversion course would be best.
i’m internally screaming

Why? You only end up with 2 unis anyway as in a Firm and an Insurance so the fact that you regret Leeds probably won't affect you either way.
Original post by confuzzledteen

Hi :smile: that would be an easier route to Law but I’m actually super passionate about film, languages and other liberal arts more than I am about Law. This route, though more complicated, would spare me crippling depression at the end of my degree but still grant me the qualifications needed to be a barrister.
Original post by harrysbar
Why? You only end up with 2 unis anyway as in a Firm and an Insurance so the fact that you regret Leeds probably won't affect you either way.

You’ve honestly just solved my problem I’m so grateful!!! I’ll firm Cambridge (if they give me an offer) and ask Nottingham to change my course. Thank you so much!!
Why do you wanna switch so much notts is good
You’ve honestly just solved my problem I’m so grateful!!! I’ll firm Cambridge (if they give me an offer) and ask Nottingham to change my course. Thank you so much!!

Lol - Firm Cambridge and Insure Notts or Firm Notts and Insure Newcastle
Original post by harrysbar
Lol - Firm Cambridge and Insure Notts or Firm Notts and Insure Newcastle

Firm Cambridge, insure Notts is a shout thanks
Original post by rehena12
Why do you wanna switch so much notts is good

I’m not switching Notts just switching from Law to Liberal Arts at Notts :smile:
I’m not switching Notts just switching from Law to Liberal Arts at Notts :smile:

Why though are u planning to go into law? I think I might suggest carry on and maybe when you get an offer ask about switching but surely isn't your ps law heavy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending