The Student Room Group

How do I cite this?

If a journal mentions another researcher and uses their quote and I want to use that quote too. The paper has no bibliography and I can't find the original paper from where the quote originated
Original post by Anonymous1502
If a journal mentions another researcher and uses their quote and I want to use that quote too. The paper has no bibliography and I can't find the original paper from where the quote originated

Hiya!

I've been stuck with referencing before so you're not the only one! I would try find your study support team for your university and can email them with your issue. As they can then help you with referencing for your specific referencing style.

It sounds like you need to try find the reference for the specific quote that the researcher has used, but you may be able to paraphrase the quote used and then reference the journal researcher that used it.

Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

If you can't access/find the original source, then you could do a secondary citation, for example: (Smith, 1990, p.134, cited in Jones, 2010, p.2). You'd need to see what the conventions are for your referencing style though, as that could be incorrect for some styles. Secondary citations aren't ideal, and should be avoided if at all possible. Maybe speak to your lecturer about where the original source might be found.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you can't access/find the original source, then you could do a secondary citation, for example: (Smith, 1990, p.134, cited in Jones, 2010, p.2). You'd need to see what the conventions are for your referencing style though, as that could be incorrect for some styles. Secondary citations aren't ideal, and should be avoided if at all possible. Maybe speak to your lecturer about where the original source might be found.

Thank you very much :smile: Is this for Harvard referencing?
Thank you very much :smile: Is this for Harvard referencing?

I use APA, so I presume Harvard would have different formatting. Take a look at this: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/nmp/sonet/rlos/studyskills/harvard/2.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending