The Student Room Group

Transfering uni after gap year

I'm 19 and spent a year at derby uni but I had a bad experience there and decided it wasn't for me and took a gap year, I'm thinking of going to Nottingham Trent to do psychology in sep 2021, I'll be 20 and be in first year, in addition I'm quite shy and my year in Derby destroyed my confidence, I'm worried that I'll struggle to make friends because I don't go out drinking
Original post by abbey101243
I'm 19 and spent a year at derby uni but I had a bad experience there and decided it wasn't for me and took a gap year, I'm thinking of going to Nottingham Trent to do psychology in sep 2021, I'll be 20 and be in first year, in addition I'm quite shy and my year in Derby destroyed my confidence, I'm worried that I'll struggle to make friends because I don't go out drinking

There’s hundreds of people at every university who don’t drink or who are happy to be friends with non drinkers. It might take a bit of time and extra effort to find them (they might have confidence issues too making them less outgoing - but they’re out there just waiting to be your friend).
Have you looked at the sorts of clubs and societies available at NTU?
Original post by abbey101243

Hi @abbey101243,

I started uni after my gap year at 19/20 and I definitely felt I would be an outsider before I got there, but this was quickly not an issue! In my first year, I lived with a mixture of aged students, including mature students way over my age. Honestly, in one of my classes, we have a mother with kids! I really differ per course and uni, but everyone is so different it's really had to feel left out, there's always a crowd for everyone. I have a heap of friends who don't drink but still come on nights out with us, and even then a lot of societies and clubs have to run non-drinking socials to include everyone! My advice to you, would be to look at Nottinghams su societies and see if theres anything you like and just get involved!

Anything else, just ask :smile:

Becca
Reply 3
Thank you so much for you help, I'll have a look at the societies

Quick Reply

Latest