The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Oxford?

I haven’t enjoyed my first term at all because I’ve felt lost both in terms of love for my subject and in terms of my future prospects. I keep getting told Oxford will open doors for me but I don’t know how true this is. I study History and French. I have considered taking two years out to study maths and further maths so that I can apply for a maths degree. I haven’t studied maths since GCSE when I achieved a 9. I think it would keep my options more open if I decided to pursue a career in science or in an economics department of the civil service or in a data analysis role in a non-for-profit. I am so close to leaving this university. Are there feelings of being lost common? Or should I listen to my gut and leave?
Original post by Anonymous
I haven’t enjoyed my first term at all because I’ve felt lost both in terms of love for my subject and in terms of my future prospects. I keep getting told Oxford will open doors for me but I don’t know how true this is. I study History and French. I have considered taking two years out to study maths and further maths so that I can apply for a maths degree. I haven’t studied maths since GCSE when I achieved a 9. I think it would keep my options more open if I decided to pursue a career in science or in an economics department of the civil service or in a data analysis role in a non-for-profit. I am so close to leaving this university. Are there feelings of being lost common? Or should I listen to my gut and leave?

These are challenging times, and call for persistence and focus. What happened to your love of your subject?
Reply 2
Tbh i can’t really offer much advice but all i will say is i also feel pretty lost right now. I’m a first year (not at oxbridge) and i’m finding my subject very difficult , constantly thinking am i good enough, have i made a mistake etc but tbh i don’t have anything else in mind that i would rather do so i really do just need to get on with it because i know deep down i would never have the guts to actually drop out lmao.

Just holding out hope that i’ll enjoy it much more when it’s actually in person.

You clearly have other options that you could take and have thought about but i mean it is a difficult decision and like i say i really don’t know what you should do.

I just wanted to say that you’re really not alone, a lot of us are struggling but we’ll find our way eventually i hope.
Original post by Anonymous

I think you should at least wait until the end of the year- this first term is very much not going to be what the rest of your experience is. I'm at Cambridge and I feel the same as you regarding future prospects and love for my subject, so don't feel like you're alone in this. Also, don't feel like you have to have a certain job in the STEM field as there's lots of stuff you can do with humanities degrees eg. civil service- I even know people who have gone from humanities degrees to working in investment banks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending