The Student Room Group

Could Brexit effect medical students who study internationally?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uzair63

Do you mean medical students from UK who study abroad or internationals who come to the UK to study?
I was just thinking about the impacts of Brexit within the NHS, and I’m aware that a significant amount of NHS workers are from the EU (who will have to move back?) so I was wondering if there was a similar issue for those studying in Europe?

Ok wait, EU workers will have to move back due to migration issues, not anything to do with the legitimacy of their qualifications. So I assume UK students who study within Europe should still be fine to practice within the UK right?
(edited 3 years ago)
So the UKLMA is an exam everyone will have to sit before they start practicing,
And this is done to avoid discrimination on international candidates? Sounds pretty reasonable and fair tbh
Original post by Uzair63

You meant "affect".
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh so the PLAB has been scrapped off? I thought that was the exam for overseas graduates to come to work in the UK?
So the UKMLA will be taken by both UK and international graduates? That's in a way good I guess, quite similar to the USMLE concept.
oh lmao, I didn't notice.
Original post by Uzair63
I was just thinking about the impacts of Brexit within the NHS, and I’m aware that a significant amount of NHS workers are from the EU (who will have to move back?) so I was wondering if there was a similar issue for those studying in Europe?

Ok wait, EU workers will have to move back due to migration issues, not anything to do with the legitimacy of their qualifications. So I assume UK students who study within Europe should still be fine to practice within the UK right?

Maybe you ought to spend some time thinking about exactly what questions you wish to ask> You seem to switch all the time and appear to be confused. You also dont appear to understand about immigration.

Why is this any different for any other sorts of workers and why are you in the medical forums?
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe you ought to spend some time thinking about exactly what questions you wish to ask> You seem to switch all the time and appear to be confused. You also dont appear to understand about immigration.

Why is this any different for any other sorts of workers and why are you in the medical forums?

I was confused hence why I was asking for some clarity, and thankful Ecolier provided it.
No need to be rude, just asking a question lol
Original post by RogerOxon
You meant "affect".

Was going to pick up on the same because it makes a difference, but resisted the urge.
Original post by 999tigger
Was going to pick up on the same because it makes a difference, but resisted the urge.

Just curious, what's the difference in the meaning between "Could Brexit affect.." and "Could Brexit effect..."?
Original post by qwert7890
Just curious, what's the difference in the meaning between "Could Brexit affect.." and "Could Brexit effect..."?

Basically, "affect" is a verb, and "effect" a noun, so the second of your quotes is just incorrect.
Basically, "affect" is a verb, and "effect" a noun, so the second of your quotes is just incorrect.

I understood that, so it is incorrect but I mean if the reader can still correctly perceive the intended meaning what's the harm lmao. Thank you though! :smile:
Original post by qwert7890
I understood that, so it is incorrect but I mean if the reader can still correctly perceive the intended meaning what's the harm lmao. Thank you though! :smile:

Irreparable damage to the language ..

My father was a lecturer in English Language and Linguistics - I blame him for my language pedantry.

To be fair, in technical fields, e.g. medicine, precision is important.
Irreparable damage to the language ..

I'd slightly disagree. I mean I particularly find that pedantry to some degree is necessary, but seeing that the entire purpose of language is to get the message across, there shouldn't be much harm in using effect in place of affect.

I actually stumbled across this short clip by Stephen Fry and I personally couldn't agree more; https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=627845127992558

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending