The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing a masters?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StarLinyx
Lancaster isn't a true top 10 uni like Warwick or Edinburgh etc. It is a very good uni, probably top 20 according to international rankings and general reputation. Why not just apply for a funded PhD somewhere? BTW Biomedicine is rather oversubscribed, and not particularly rated by academics over more traditional subjects like Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

Personally, I don't think it is worth doing an MSc, unless that is you have tirelessly applied to PhD courses with full studentships at a range of universities (not necessarily high ranking ones) and have failed to secure a place. If you don't wish to go into academia then your industrial lab experience will matter more than an MSc. Employers will look at the contents of your degrees and the grades achieved more than where you got the degrees from. Although, all things being equal, the more prestigious the uni the better it looks on your CV.

Yeah I was doing biomedicine at a RG uni. I hated it, the uni was awful despite being so highly rated and ranked, poor teaching quality and very rude lecturers. I left and am looking to do genetics at a very highly rated but non RG uni, and do an integrated masters. There’s no point going to the best uni if they can’t give you what you want. And an MSc can be used for a higher salary and having a good MSc would probably impress more than an undergrad from a ‘top ten’ uni
Original post by Studentystudent!
Yeah I was doing biomedicine at a RG uni. I hated it, the uni was awful despite being so highly rated and ranked, poor teaching quality and very rude lecturers. I left and am looking to do genetics at a very highly rated but non RG uni, and do an integrated masters. There’s no point going to the best uni if they can’t give you what you want. And an MSc can be used for a higher salary and having a good MSc would probably impress more than an undergrad from a ‘top ten’ uni

I did my MSc at a solid top 5 UK uni (not Oxbridge), and the amount of silly politics (gossip, favourites, putting people down) I encountered was very disappointing. In many ways, the more elite the uni, the more competitive the politics you will come across.
Original post by madame_j
Oh cool! Go for Leeds, you won't regret it! Leeds Uni Business School is a leading business school (the best one in the UK according to the Business Shanghai Ranking 2019) but putting rankings aside, it's easy to notice that staff are motivated to share their knowledge and very approachable. I got AAA and met the conditions of the offer which are normally AAA (plus, I got A* in GCSE Maths, A* in English Language).

Wow those are incredible stats ! I really hope I get an offer I unfortunately don’t have a 5 in maths so I’m doing the access to Leeds thing as they take a grade 4 i meet the alevel requirements and the English gcse , I’ve been emailed to tell me I’m eligible for access but I’m still waiting for a decision 🤞🤞
Original post by Tashax2
Wow those are incredible stats ! I really hope I get an offer I unfortunately don’t have a 5 in maths so I’m doing the access to Leeds thing as they take a grade 4 i meet the alevel requirements and the English gcse , I’ve been emailed to tell me I’m eligible for access but I’m still waiting for a decision 🤞🤞

Thanks! Access to Leeds is a great thing for those who are eligible, so I hope you'll also benefit from it :smile: BTW The recruitment team is slow at replying, at least it took them ages to send me an offer, so don't worry if it takes them long to reply.
Reply 24
I recently earned my master's degree in environmental engineering and I can see the difference before and after. Integrating the research skills I have learnt into the professional experience is amazing.
Of course it worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending