The Student Room Group

CND (Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament) Sent Me An Email...

As the title reads, I am subscribed to CND and they are campaigning for an arms ban, which is fantastic and it reads,

"On January 22nd, a new United Nations treaty will enter into force, one which will make nuclear weapons illegal in the countries that sign it. This month's magazine has an article on this historic moment, as well as a piece on why Youth and Student CND is getting involved in the campaign for a Wellbeing for Future Generations Act.

Read Campaign magazine (link)
Download Campaign magazine (link)

In peace,
Sara Medi Jones
Campaign editor"

Heres my question, will Britain and the US, countries, who have these weapons actually sign the UN treaty. Since the UK is replacing its Trident nuclear missile system, at £205 Bn it is unlikely to be signing it, therefore which countries is the treaty intended for?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wikipedia

"The Trident missile is a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) equipped with multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles (MIRV). Originally developed by Lockheed Missiles and Space Corporation, the missile is armed with thermonuclear warheads and is launched from nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines (SSBNs). Trident missiles are carried by fourteen United States Navy Ohio-class submarines, with American warheads, as well as four Royal Navy Vanguard-class submarines, with British warheads. The missile is named after the mythological trident of Neptune."

It's a 'catch 22' situation because if you sign and another nuclear country attacks you, you'll be forced to defend your country, how? Send an equally or more powerfully destructive weapon, therefore it would MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). So, it is a paradox, it's illogical.
The only solution to this dilemma that I see is the interception of such a weapon before it reached it's intended target-preventing the annihilation. Only in that case could a self respecting government entertain such an idea.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by M4tur3 stud8nt
It's a 'catch 22' situation because if you sign and another nuclear country attacks you, you'll be forced to defend your country, how? Send an equally or more powerfully destructive weapon, therefore it would MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). So, it is a paradox, it's illogical.

The world is illogical, China and Saudi are on the UN Human Rights Council despite being the worst abusers of human rights in the world.
Original post by DiddyDec
The world is illogical, China and Saudi are on the UN Human Rights Council despite being the worst abusers of human rights in the world.

Problem here is that Saudi doesn't possess nuclear weapons, since it generates most of its GDP from its oil exports, so it has no need for them. The US is currently provoking the Chinese in the South China sea by invading it's territory. Why?
Problem here is that Saudi doesn't possess nuclear weapons, since it generates most of its GDP from its oil exports, so it has no need for them. The US is currently provoking the Chinese in the South China sea by invading it's territory. Why?

Weird how you completely ignore the human rights element there while campaigning for nuclear disarmament presumably to help humans.
I can confidently say that a nuclear weapon used against country for whatever reason would injure and kill innocent people who live within the country and within the vicinity of the blast radius. It would defeat the objective.
Reply 8
I can confidently say that a nuclear weapon used against country for whatever reason would injure and kill innocent people who live within the country and within the vicinity of the blast radius. It would defeat the objective.

The objective is for the other country to know that, so that they don't attack in the first place.
Reply 9
As the title reads, I am subscribed to CND and they are campaigning for an arms ban, which is fantastic and it reads,

"On January 22nd, a new United Nations treaty will enter into force, one which will make nuclear weapons illegal in the countries that sign it. This month's magazine has an article on this historic moment, as well as a piece on why Youth and Student CND is getting involved in the campaign for a Wellbeing for Future Generations Act.

Read Campaign magazine (link)
Download Campaign magazine (link)

In peace,
Sara Medi Jones
Campaign editor"

Heres my question, will Britain and the US, countries, who have these weapons actually sign the UN treaty. Since the UK is replacing its Trident nuclear missile system, at £205 Bn it is unlikely to be signing it, therefore which countries is the treaty intended for?

Its intended as a bit of moral posturing for the non-nuclear states, nothing more. Despite the nuclear armed ones being legally obliged to 'seek to get rid of their nuclear weapons' that is quite simply a pipe dream.
Reply 10

How? The objective is to kill thus this weapon meets said objective perfectly?
Reply 11

That makes absolutely no sense...
Never mind Saudi may well have proxy nuclear weapons thanks to pakistan - why else would they have funded their programme?
Saudi Arabia and Pakistan may have shared cultural and religious values, however Pakistan is not a 'proxy' weapons storage base of Saudi Arabia, it is an autonomous, independent and sovereign country- free to make it's own decisions. If Pakistan has nuclear weapons it is because neighbouring India has them. Saudi doesn't need these weapons because it does not need to subjugate another country to exploit it's mineral resources, hence it's reliance oil reserves.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
The objective is for the other country to know that, so that they don't attack in the first place.

My response was to a question regarding human rights and that the use of such a weapon does not justify it's use, nor would it act act as a deterrent if both opposing countries had them as I have stated in another post that there would be mutually assured destruction. If I am correct these weapons are stored underground, therefore if there was retaliation it is the civilians who are likely to suffer the most.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Napp
Its intended as a bit of moral posturing for the non-nuclear states, nothing more. Despite the nuclear armed ones being legally obliged to 'seek to get rid of their nuclear weapons' that is quite simply a pipe dream.

The UN have a habit of compiling documents that will be used as a door mat or sold in the 'fiction' section of bookstores.
Original post by Drewski

The objective is control not destruction. If one wants to improve human rights you change the government using democracy. Nukes are not a deterrent. The only reason Japan did not retaliate in WW2 with a nuclear weapon is because it simply did not possess any.
Reply 16
The UN have a habit of compiling documents that will be used as a door mat or sold in the 'fiction' section of bookstores.

I prefer the fantasy section but nevertheless.
The objective is control not destruction. If one wants to improve human rights you change the government using democracy. Nukes are not a deterrent. The only reason Japan did not retaliate in WW2 with a nuclear weapon is because it simply did not possess any.

That rather depends on the doctrine now doesnt it. Although the threat of nuclear strikes havent been used in a coercive manner since the '50's in Korea. The general idea is simple destruction though, wiping out entire cities being rather clear cut.

As to democracy, how exactly do you intend to use that to improve human rights in of itself..?
Saudi Arabia and Pakistan may have shared cultural and religious values, however Pakistan is not a 'proxy' weapons storage base of Saudi Arabia, it is an autonomous, independent and sovereign country- free to make it's own decisions. If Pakistan has nuclear weapons it is because neighbouring India has them. Saudi doesn't need these weapons because it does not need to subjugate another country to exploit it's mineral resources, hence it's reliance oil reserves.

Complete garbled nonsense.

My response was to a question regarding human rights and that the use of such a weapon does not justify it's use, nor would it act act as a deterrent if both opposing countries had them as I have stated in another post that there would be mutually assured destruction. If I am correct these weapons are stored underground, therefore if there was retaliation it is the civilians who are likely to suffer the most.

Your first sentence is barely coherent, do you want to try again?

And yes, that's the point. It's the threat of use of these weapons that makes them unpalatable.

They've been in existence for nearly 80 years and only used twice, that tells you that it works.
Original post by Napp
How? The objective is to kill thus this weapon meets said objective perfectly?

The objective of the physical weapon itself is to destroy. What is being suggesting is genocidal and this would be in conflict with the Geneva Conventions.
(edited 3 years ago)
The objective of the physical weapon itself is to destroy. What you are suggesting is genocidal and this would be in conflict with the Geneva Conventions.

Do you really think a country using a nuclear weapon cares about the Geneva Convention?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending