The Student Room Group

How much it will cost me to study Nursing,

How many years I will spend , What are the documents I need to register for a nursing school
Reply 1
In the UK, you need a nursing degree to register with the NMC and practice as a nurse. Degrees are 3 years. You will need GCSEs Maths & English (or an accepted equivalent) and 3 A levels (or equivalent). Requirements for each nursing course are published on the university's website. Approved courses can be found here: https://www.nmc.org.uk/education/approved-programmes/
Reply 2
In the UK, you need to apply through UCAS. The deadline for September 2021 entry is 6pm on the 29th January. The cost depends on where you currently live and where you go to university, but generally the fees are £9000 in Wales, and £9250 in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you live in Scotland and study at a Scottish university, your tuition fees will be less/free, and the same apples in Northern Ireland. If you go to a Scottish university, the degree will also be 4 years rather than 3. You'll need to choose a field of nursing you want to study, either adult, child, mental health or learning disability. You can choose to do a dual registration degree, which allows you to study two fields of nursing and lasts an extra year. A UCAS application requires you to write a personal statement explaining why you want to study nursing and the skills & experience you have that would make you a good nursing student.
Reply 3
Original post by millsr
In the UK, you need to apply through UCAS. The deadline for September 2021 entry is 6pm on the 29th January. The cost depends on where you currently live and where you go to university, but generally the fees are £9000 in Wales, and £9250 in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland. If you live in Scotland and study at a Scottish university, your tuition fees will be less/free, and the same apples in Northern Ireland. If you go to a Scottish university, the degree will also be 4 years rather than 3. You'll need to choose a field of nursing you want to study, either adult, child, mental health or learning disability. You can choose to do a dual registration degree, which allows you to study two fields of nursing and lasts an extra year. A UCAS application requires you to write a personal statement explaining why you want to study nursing and the skills & experience you have that would make you a good nursing student.

...only, you can qualify in Scotland after 3 years, because that incorporates the NMC required hours and content - yet you qualify with an ordinary degree, and only have to do the 4th year to get the honours bit but it doesn't affect job opportunities at all.
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
...only, you can qualify in Scotland after 3 years, because that incorporates the NMC required hours and content - yet you qualify with an ordinary degree, and only have to do the 4th year to get the honours bit but it doesn't affect job opportunities at all.

Right, I wasn't aware of that - the only Scottish nursing degrees I'd researched were 4 years honours courses. Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by millsr
Right, I wasn't aware of that - the only Scottish nursing degrees I'd researched were 4 years honours courses. Thanks

I only figured that bit out through people on here who've done it that way/a cousin who has. Have seen the 3 year Scottish courses when I've looked out of curiosity but can't remember where or what it came under... useful to know though 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending