Social work MA - personal statement advice/examples?

Watch
maybethisislife
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone!

I'm a little clueless about how to start off/structure a social work MA personal statement.

If there's anyone who has successfully been accepted to a social work MA course, could you share some tips or even send your personal statement so I can get an understanding of what makes a successful personal statement?

I think an example would put be at ease when writing mine! (Currently experiencing writers block.)
krushems27
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello, I can offer some tips for writing up a MA Social Work personal statement. I am still in the admissions phase where I passed a written test for a university in London and preparing for the online group exercise and interview I have for next week. You want to discuss why you are applying, your skills, any work/volunteering experiences and what you have done to prepare for the degree, for instance. In my statement, I included that I have been volunteering supporting families for 2 years and what skills I have learnt and how the degree will allow me to develop my knowledge and understanding of different family dynamics and my awareness of social inequalities. Hope that helps.
Last edited by krushems27; 4 weeks ago
maliboo99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by maybethisislife)
Hi everyone!

I'm a little clueless about how to start off/structure a social work MA personal statement.

If there's anyone who has successfully been accepted to a social work MA course, could you share some tips or even send your personal statement so I can get an understanding of what makes a successful personal statement?

I think an example would put be at ease when writing mine! (Currently experiencing writers block.)
Which unis are you deciding to apply to ? Maybe we are deciding on the same uni
maybethisislife
Rep:
?
(Original post by krushems27)
Hello, I can offer some tips for writing up a MA Social Work personal statement. I am still in the admissions phase where I passed a written test for a university in London and preparing for the online group exercise and interview I have for next week. You want to discuss why you are applying, your skills, any work/volunteering experiences and what you have done to prepare for the degree, for instance. In my statement, I included that I have been volunteering supporting families for 2 years and what skills I have learnt and how the degree will allow me to develop my knowledge and understanding of different family dynamics and my awareness of social inequalities. Hope that helps.
Thank you! This is helpful - sounds doable. I think I'm overthinking it haha.
maybethisislife
Rep:
?
(Original post by maliboo99)
Which unis are you deciding to apply to ? Maybe we are deciding on the same uni
Hey! I'm applying to York, Manchester, Hope, Cumbria and Bolton
maybethisislife
Rep:
?
(Original post by krushems27)
Oh - one more thing. Did you include a little bit about your interests and hobbies in general?
krushems27
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by maybethisislife)
Oh - one more thing. Did you include a little bit about your interests and hobbies in general?
I added a little bit on that and you can always expand on that in the interviews. You got this!! I know it's nerve racking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (373)
32.07%
No (790)
67.93%

Watched Threads