The Student Room Group

A LEVELS to German Abitur

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SSRXCV
Oh that's really cool! I'll be traveling to Berlin in a few weeks. I can't wait to discover all of Germany.

Can recommend Hamburg as a beautiful city to visit! :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by waitanddrinktea
Can recommend Hamburg as a beautiful city to visit! :smile:

I adore Hamburg, it's such an interesting place, elegant and peaceful.

I would love to live there.

Something I saw there, in a restaurant called the Old Commercial Room near the Michel, was a piece on the wall about a dish called Labskaus. It said that sailors doing the Hamburg - Liverpool route made Labskaus for themselves and shared it around when they were docked in Liverpool, It took off, was adapted a little, the name was shorted to Skaus by the local people and the rest is history.

https://www.oldcommercialroom.de/speisekarte/
Original post by Kerzen
I adore Hamburg, it's such an interesting place, elegant and peaceful.

I would love to live there.

Something I saw there, in a restaurant called the Old Commercial Room near the Michel, was a piece on the wall about a dish called Labskaus. It said that sailors doing the Hamburg - Liverpool route made Labskaus for themselves and shared it around when they were docked in Liverpool, It took off, was adapted a little, the name was shorted to Skaus by the local people and the rest is history.

https://www.oldcommercialroom.de/speisekarte/

Oh cool! Yes, I especially adore the Speicherstadt :smile:

I'm from Cologne myself, and I have to admit, the city doesn't have much going for it aesthatically apart from Christmas markets and the Dom
Reply 23
Oh cool! Yes, I especially adore the Speicherstadt :smile:

I'm from Cologne myself, and I have to admit, the city doesn't have much going for it aesthatically apart from Christmas markets and the Dom

Is there anything that I should look out for in Germany? Some taboos or things to avoid doing that might irritate the people?
Can I get around using public transportation just fine, or do I need a bike?
Would be great to know a few things before landing!
Original post by SSRXCV
Is there anything that I should look out for in Germany? Some taboos or things to avoid doing that might irritate the people?
Can I get around using public transportation just fine, or do I need a bike?
Would be great to know a few things before landing!

Top tip: preferably don't cross a red pedestrian light, especially if you are not in the city centre of a big city and especially especially when there is a kid among the other people waiting :wink: might seem silly, I know haha
If you meet up with somebody, I generally advise to be at least somewhat punctual. There is of course always be that person whos gonna be late, try to not be them :smile:
Don't be the ******* on the Autobahn who thinks that because there is no speed limit, they actually have to drive 240 km/h.
Public transportation depends on the city you are in and how centrally you live :smile: generally, it is quite good (even though everyone always complains about the Deutsche Bahn). But if you live somewhat centrally and In a city like Berlin, you should probably be fine :smile:
Reply 25
Top tip: preferably don't cross a red pedestrian light, especially if you are not in the city centre of a big city and especially especially when there is a kid among the other people waiting :wink: might seem silly, I know haha
If you meet up with somebody, I generally advise to be at least somewhat punctual. There is of course always be that person whos gonna be late, try to not be them :smile:
Don't be the ******* on the Autobahn who thinks that because there is no speed limit, they actually have to drive 240 km/h.
Public transportation depends on the city you are in and how centrally you live :smile: generally, it is quite good (even though everyone always complains about the Deutsche Bahn). But if you live somewhat centrally and In a city like Berlin, you should probably be fine :smile:

Got it! These are really helpful. Should I have any more questions, I'll make sure to drop you a PM.
Reply 26
Original post by SSRXCV
Oh that's really cool! I'll be traveling to Berlin in a few weeks. I can't wait to discover all of Germany.

Be sure to have a quick look at this to make sure that everything is shipshape, just in case.

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs.html#doc13797140bodyText3
Original post by SSRXCV
Got it! These are really helpful. Should I have any more questions, I'll make sure to drop you a PM.

No problem! Always happy to help, especially since I'm also planning to move to a different country to study :smile: Feel free to do so!
Original post by Kerzen
Be sure to have a quick look at this to make sure that everything is shipshape, just in case.

https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs.html#doc13797140bodyText3

definitely! We might be in Lockdown until mid march (it is being debated as we speak), and I'm not sure if you would be able to get into the country until then (especially if you are looking to travel here from the UK) and also if it would be worth visiting when actually everything apart from supermarkets is closed :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending