The Student Room Group

Nursing Applicant ( What to buy/Cost)

Hello all,

I have had offers (Children Nursing) so definitely going in sep (hopefully) but I am trying to work out how much I need to save as I am waiting on the last couple of offers. By the looks of it, I need a DBS (not sure how much it will cost), Hep B vaccine? but not sure if need anything else for the course.

Then I want to save some for September/placement items - anyone has a comprehensive list I have been told lots of different things by a friend with others telling me not to get this or that ( it seems like it is an expensive do if I'm not careful)
Reply 1
Hi!
Some info for you;
DBS check:
You need an enhanced DBS check, currently costing £44 https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fee-changes-for-dbs-checks
Whatever you do, do not go off and arrange this yourself - you need one specifically for the course at whichever university you end up at and should receive details of arranging this from them. I can't remember if I had to pay for my one for my nursing degree, but for my hospital job the trust paid for it initially and then claimed the money back out of my wages over a few months.
Vaccines
The university will ask for proof of all vaccines you've had - you'll be able to get them off your GP. If you need any extras, including HepB, the university should go about sorting your vaccination but this should not come at a financial cost to you.
University items
Pens. Lots and lots and lots of black pens - you can get loads of biros really cheaply, you'll get through loads in uni and on placement.
Notebooks - can also be bought cheaply.
Laptop - I hope you already have one. You'll need it for making typing up essays easier, even if you have another device for watching lectures/seminars if they're still online by September.
Books - as a rule, I tend to say don't go buying your own textbooks. They're expensive. Everything you need is available through your university library - even as online versions. The only things that may be useful, if the university don't give you one (I got given a load of textbooks when I started) are an A&P book - I have a copy of Ross & Wilson which I bought and Tortorra & Derrickson given to me by the university - and potentially a nursing calculations book just for your own peace of mind (which you can get reasonably cheaply).
A decent pair of shoes for placement. A lot of nurses wear Clarks shoes, currently averaging about £65 a pair, but they'll last.

The things you need to actually sort before September:
Shoes for placement
Pens
Notebooks
Costing a total of £70ish unless unless you need a laptop/tablet.
Reply 2
Original post by Emily_B
Hi!
Some info for you;
DBS check:
You need an enhanced DBS check, currently costing £44 https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fee-changes-for-dbs-checks
Whatever you do, do not go off and arrange this yourself - you need one specifically for the course at whichever university you end up at and should receive details of arranging this from them. I can't remember if I had to pay for my one for my nursing degree, but for my hospital job the trust paid for it initially and then claimed the money back out of my wages over a few months.
Vaccines
The university will ask for proof of all vaccines you've had - you'll be able to get them off your GP. If you need any extras, including HepB, the university should go about sorting your vaccination but this should not come at a financial cost to you.
University items
Pens. Lots and lots and lots of black pens - you can get loads of biros really cheaply, you'll get through loads in uni and on placement.
Notebooks - can also be bought cheaply.
Laptop - I hope you already have one. You'll need it for making typing up essays easier, even if you have another device for watching lectures/seminars if they're still online by September.
Books - as a rule, I tend to say don't go buying your own textbooks. They're expensive. Everything you need is available through your university library - even as online versions. The only things that may be useful, if the university don't give you one (I got given a load of textbooks when I started) are an A&P book - I have a copy of Ross & Wilson which I bought and Tortorra & Derrickson given to me by the university - and potentially a nursing calculations book just for your own peace of mind (which you can get reasonably cheaply).
A decent pair of shoes for placement. A lot of nurses wear Clarks shoes, currently averaging about £65 a pair, but they'll last.

The things you need to actually sort before September:
Shoes for placement
Pens
Notebooks
Costing a total of £70ish unless you need a laptop/tablet.

Oh Perfect thank you so much I thankfully have a good laptop that I bought this year for work and college ( thankfully, light with a good battery so perfect)

I also have quite a few of the books already that I was gifted or invested in second hand as I work off books better for my major books)

Perfect the vaccine worried me if I had to spend a fortune to get these ( had all my childhood ones but who knows otherwise) and the DBS is actually cheaper then expected (i was guessing around the £100 mark)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending