The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
do you think I’ll be able to use my parents card for bursary and money to come in when I’m eventually working?

Likely not, generally account and payee names have to match now and accounts for things like bursaries/student loans need to be in your own name. You'd be putting your parents accounts at risk of closure as well (as they would essentially be guilty of the exact same thing you have just got caught and blocked for, letting an illicit 3rd party use their accounts)

They would clock your name being attached to the account pretty much instantly btw, and the second they check who you are your parents would be in trouble. Banks have really been stepping up their antifraud game over the last decade and they tend to catch most account/identify fraud a lot quicker now, often the same day. As Tom said, Know Your Customer checks are pretty advanced now, as soon as the bank systems start seeing out of character transactions and locations and names they're likely to take a closer look. I've had to settle someone's estate over the last few years and i've been called at least a dozen times by my bank wanting to know what i'm moving so much money around for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Right okay so. I’m a bit frightened of the consequences which is the reason I haven’t been very honest. Im in a position where I really don’t know how to get myself out of as I have strict-ish parents but what happened was, one of my “friends” told me they needed my card to transfer some money over into my account, and they were a very well trusted friend who already had my card details saved so I obviously trusted them so much with them having my details on their phone. I asked obviously why my card details were needed or why he couldn’t use his own card. I was told that my card was the last option and it still seemed sketchy to me so I didn’t allow it but he still used my details anyway. (Which I’m now aware I shouldn’t have been so calm about) i didn’t think much of it truly and honestly as ive never been involved ever in a situation like this and at the time, I believed I was just committing to an act of kindness kind of thing? I was very skeptical about this because he did have his own card but I was very naive and clueless at the time. So at this moment of time, I had access to log into my online banking and I had seen a payment of £200 made from a random person whilst I was at school. I was told beforehand when he used my card details to transfer the money immediately to him so I did not thinking anything of it whilst I was busy, in school. I know I made a huge mistake even allowing him to have my details even though I said no when he asked. I really did trust him and he’s had my details for about 2 years now so you could maybe understand that, as a 17 year old girl I was very very clueless about all of this fraud money stuff people are doing and how cards and things are needed. Anyways, so after the money was transferred to his account, I used my card fine for about two weeks? Until I had noticed my online banking randomly stopped working? It wouldn’t let me log in and said my online banking is temporary blocked. I was so confused as I literally hadn’t used my card at all for anything or given my details out, just to the people I trust the most. It had a number to ring on the online banking app so I gave it a call and the women gave me a security test thing which i kind of struggled to answer because the questions were stuff like, “what was the last purchase you made on this date” etc which was hard to answer because I hadn’t shopped for around 3-4 weeks prior to this. So the woman told me to call back when I had an idea or information on my purchases which yes is common knowledge but as a 17 year old who attends sixth form there was plenty of work due in and this situation caused extra stress on my head, so I figured out my last purchase which was made via just eat and so I called back the man told me it says absolutely nothing as to why your account has been closed and there’s no more information I can possibly give you sort of thing. So I left it for like a month or two as we’ve been in lockdown i didn’t really apply for any cards until around a week ago? I applied for santander online and I hadn’t even sent my ID off or proof of adress and they sent me a letterr regardless saying that we’re unable to open you an account with us and something about cifas?? Obviously my parents were the first to read this and they assumed I had been doing fraud and on the santander letter, it had given a contact number and they said they can give any information as to why your bank has been closed with any other branch so my parents called santander and they said we can’t do anything and don’t know the reason, I told them the situation and how on the letter it said stuff about fraud and cifas, I wasn’t referred to the fraud department the guy on the phone suggested I called the fraud department they also said the exact same, they don’t know the reason but they suggest we called barclays again? So My parents called barclays and they gave me another security test which I passed this time but he had literally 0 information online as to why my bank had been closed down. I apologise for not being very honest within this, I’m just terrified that my parents will think I’ve done some sort of fraud as I’m a girl, this looks really bad and will only ruin the trust i have within my family kind of thing? I’m not sure if anybody can help me out I’m so stressed on what on earth I should do. I applied for a under 18’s starling account and a monzo too but I didn’t get accepted. This is a really big mistake and I’m aware I shouldn’t have trusted anyone with my card details but this person was basically family to me. If anyone knows any way I can resolve this issue please let me know as I’m starting an apprenticeship soon and I’ve done some research online and apparently a cifas marker can stay up to 6 years!? I cant do 6 years without a card. I’m struggling to find a card for a 17 year old that doesn’t do cifas checks or whatever. But if anyone has any advice for me on this horrible situation I’m stuck in, please let me know as soon as, I would really appreciate it

The real crime here is not using paragraphs :mad:

You'll have to live with it unfortunately and find ways around it. At least you made this mistake when you were young and that it will hopefully be a life long lesson.
(edited 3 years ago)
Any updates?
Hi there, ive applied for a pockit card and I use that for time being. I haven’t attempted to apply for anywhere or havent really had the time to get advice although I will need to take action soon

Original post by jxson_17
Any updates?
Hi there, ive applied for a pockit card and I use that for time being. I haven’t attempted to apply for anywhere or havent really had the time to get advice although I will need to take action soon

Just pockit for the time being dont apply anywhere else just gotta ride out the 6 years truss I was 23 when I got a cifas it would come of when I’m nearly big 30 in fucxedddd 😂😂😂
Just pockit for the time being dont apply anywhere else just gotta ride out the 6 years truss I was 23 when I got a cifas it would come of when I’m nearly big 30 in fucxedddd 😂😂😂

Oh god 😂😂😂 did you get like a letter saying something to do with the cifas marker against your name ?
Oh god 😂😂😂 did you get like a letter saying something to do with the cifas marker against your name ?

Mumssss 😂😂😂😂 yeah I did when I applied for another bank it said I should subject a cifas access report wbu
Mumssss 😂😂😂😂 yeah I did when I applied for another bank it said I should subject a cifas access report wbu

nopeee nothing, and my parents still don’t know so it’s basically impossible for me to request that😂😂but I read somewhere not long ago you first get a cifas warning which lasts a year I think ? I’m not to sure if it was correct Idek what to do now cos I cant live with a Pockit for life
Reply 48
nopeee nothing, and my parents still don’t know so it’s basically impossible for me to request that😂😂but I read somewhere not long ago you first get a cifas warning which lasts a year I think ? I’m not to sure if it was correct Idek what to do now cos I cant live with a Pockit for life

That's not a thing. If you get the fraud marker, it'll be 6 years.

If they find out say somebody hacked your account and you don’t know how 😂😂😂 u can always go on cifas website and write to them no you its straight 6 years if your caught for fraud did you recieve a letter from your bank and you got 2 options move 2 another country for 6 years bank in that country or use a prepaid card for 6 years or go to your local credit union
Original post by IWMTom
That's not a thing. If you get the fraud marker, it'll be 6 years.

6 yrs is fxcking longtime without a bank or credit
Reply 51
6 yrs is fxcking longtime without a bank or credit

Shouldn't have got yourself a fraud marker then. Better than being imprisoned, no?
Man said u got ur own square loaded🤦*♂️ fam i cant lie if ur tryna bang fraud you might aswell move smart abt out u shoulda either started clicking or juss gone legit instead ygm. dont try monzo theyre starting to move like them mainstream banks cah moretime apparently bare monzo accs r getting locked off since they switched up the rules for blacklisted ppl. some brudda i knew from colly got blacklisted for 5 bills but got accepted a tide card tho u shud try that still but yh g idk wagwan for you
Reply 53
Original post by StormSilverX
Man said u got ur own square loaded🤦*♂️ fam i cant lie if ur tryna bang fraud you might aswell move smart abt out u shoulda either started clicking or juss gone legit instead ygm. dont try monzo theyre starting to move like them mainstream banks cah moretime apparently bare monzo accs r getting locked off since they switched up the rules for blacklisted ppl. some brudda i knew from colly got blacklisted for 5 bills but got accepted a tide card tho u shud try that still but yh g idk wagwan for you

What the **** does this even mean...
(edited 2 years ago)

Why call debit cards squares? They’re rectangular.
Original post by IWMTom
Shouldn't have got yourself a fraud marker then. Better than being imprisoned, no?

Depends how long your getting tbh if your getting like a year then that’s better then cifas
Original post by RedGiant
Why call debit cards squares? They’re rectangular.

It’s slang

More time ppl get bumped giving mandem there squares not worth it in da end

Latest

Trending

Trending