The Student Room Group

Retaking A levels UCAS help

Hi, so I have currently done three A levels last year, English and History and got a B in both and I got a D in Maths; I am hoping to retake the Maths A level externally next year. I am a little curious however as to how I would apply to my uni of choice on UCAS before I’ve done the retake? I need to get an A in maths for my chosen course but I obviously need to apply to my selected unis before I resit and I can’t see how I would even be considered with the grade I eventually got. Essentially what I’m asking is how would I apply to universities before I get my grade from the resit?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kzadboy7
Hi, so I have currently done three A levels last year, English and History and got a B in both and I got a D in Maths; I am hoping to retake the Maths A level externally next year. I am a little curious however as to how I would apply to my uni of choice on UCAS before I’ve done the retake? I need to get an A in maths for my chosen course but I obviously need to apply to my selected unis before I resit and I can’t see how I would even be considered with the grade I eventually got. Essentially what I’m asking is how would I apply to universities before I get my grade from the resit?

You list the maths A level on your education section twice. Once in 2020 with the D grade and once in 2022 with a pending grade.

Your referee will be asked to provide a predicted grade for the pending result.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You list the maths A level on your education section twice. Once in 2020 with the D grade and once in 2022 with a pending grade.

Your referee will be asked to provide a predicted grade for the pending result.

Is it likely my university of choice would even consider me with that grade however? Also how would the referee go about giving me a predicted grade? It’s just if the uni knew the context of the past two years my grade would be understandable
Original post by kzadboy7
Is it likely my university of choice would even consider me with that grade however? Also how would the referee go about giving me a predicted grade? It’s just if the uni knew the context of the past two years my grade would be understandable

You need to have a conversation with your referee about whether they're willing to provide you with predicted grades as part of your reference and if so what information they need in order to be comfortable doing that. You choose your referee, they choose what they put in your reference.

Your reference should include educational context.
All universities know the circumstances around the 2020 results - if you're worried then talk to them directly (book on a virtual open day or contact admissions) and explain your past grades and plan to resit maths to get an A and ask if they'd consider you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending