The Student Room Group

Is there a point in firming if I know I won't make the grades?

So I had planned on Firming liverpool uni for History with French , with the conditions of 3A's and a B. And Insuring Dundee for History and European Lanuages with the conditions of 3 Bs.

Liverpool is 100% my top choice and if I could go to any of the unis I applied to that is where I'd be.

However although I was originally predicted AABB as I hand in coursework and prepare for final assessments it looks like I'm averaging out at more ABBB/C.

So I'm wondering if there is even a point in firming Liverpool if inevitably I will end up in Dundee in September? Would it not be easier to firm Dundee that way I can begin sorting accommodation etc..

or should I not give up on Liverpool just yet ...just incase.
if you were one grade adrift I would have said hang out for Liverpool and hope they take you but you are several grades adrift - Liverpool want AAAB and you are on track to get ABBB so you drop a grade on two A levels. It's unlikely Liverpool will accept you.

I suggest you firm up Dundee and sort out your accommodation and make the mental shift to Dundee. It's a great uni and a nice city. It's only an hour by train from Edinburgh so days out there can be fun. Dundee has the new V&A design museum on the waterfront which is amazing.
Reply 2
I would firm Liverpool, unis might be a bit more lenient this year, and also, if you firm Dundee you don’t get the chance to see if you can get into lpool. Dont miss out on it, you’ve got an insurance choice for a reason!
Original post by mike23mike
if you were one grade adrift I would have said hang out for Liverpool and hope they take you but you are several grades adrift - Liverpool want AAAB and you are on track to get ABBB so you drop a grade on two A levels. It's unlikely Liverpool will accept you.

I suggest you firm up Dundee and sort out your accommodation and make the mental shift to Dundee. It's a great uni and a nice city. It's only an hour by train from Edinburgh so days out there can be fun. Dundee has the new V&A design museum on the waterfront which is amazing.

I live in Aberdeenshire so Dundee is much closer to home and family both in the shire and in Glasgow .
But I worry that I'm under estimating my grades and still stand a chance . My college isn't going to tell us our estimates so I'm really not going to have an idea.
I'm also concerned that I have no offers with conditions lower than Dundee so I'd be going in with no back up choices.
Original post by ChasenStars
So I had planned on Firming liverpool uni for History with French , with the conditions of 3A's and a B. And Insuring Dundee for History and European Lanuages with the conditions of 3 Bs.

Liverpool is 100% my top choice and if I could go to any of the unis I applied to that is where I'd be.

However although I was originally predicted AABB as I hand in coursework and prepare for final assessments it looks like I'm averaging out at more ABBB/C.

So I'm wondering if there is even a point in firming Liverpool if inevitably I will end up in Dundee in September? Would it not be easier to firm Dundee that way I can begin sorting accommodation etc..

I think that @PQ might have some statistics on the percentage of applicants who get accepted by their firm choice despite dropping 2 or more grades.
Original post by ageshallnot
I think that @PQ might have some statistics on the percentage of applicants who get accepted by their firm choice despite dropping 2 or more grades.

Yes it was 40%. It is possible OP will get accepted. Hard t know this year due to Cags being used instead of exams. Also fewer overseas students could make a difference.
Reply 6

Definitely firm Liverpool. There's always a chance! I know someone who got into a uni requiring AAB with ABC. And this was a few years ago. They want to fill the spaces. It obviously doesn't mean you'll definitely get in, but worth a go!
I guess at worst if you can insure Dundee then you have nothing to lose. If you do end up getting the grades or close enough for Liverpool then great, and if not you'll have Dundee. I've had a couple times where my class grades have been low and then just done really well on the test day, but i'm aware they may be taking class work more into account this year.

If there's a chance you might get even lower grades than Dundee wants it may be worth firming Dundee and having an even lower entry requirement back-up option. In that scenario a resit / gap year might be an alternative option for you to consider too if you're set on those two uni's.
I would absolutely be firming Liverpool if it’s your top choice.
Hi there,

It's great to hear that Liverpool is your top choice!

I completely agree with @Kogomogo about still putting Liverpool as your firm, and Dundee as your insurance - as if you do not firm Liverpool and turns out that you actually got the grades, it saves you from going through clearing and trying to re-apply (that is, if your chosen course does go into clearing).

If you have any queries, don't hesitate getting into contact with our admissions team for further guidance. They're all super friendly and might be a big help! Here's the number if you need: +44 (0) 151 794 8591.

Hopefully that's helpful.

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.
Original post by swanseajack1
Yes it was 40%. It is possible OP will get accepted. Hard t know this year due to Cags being used instead of exams. Also fewer overseas students could make a difference.

That's reassuring then! thank you
Original post by Kogomogo
I guess at worst if you can insure Dundee then you have nothing to lose. If you do end up getting the grades or close enough for Liverpool then great, and if not you'll have Dundee. I've had a couple times where my class grades have been low and then just done really well on the test day, but i'm aware they may be taking class work more into account this year.

If there's a chance you might get even lower grades than Dundee wants it may be worth firming Dundee and having an even lower entry requirement back-up option. In that scenario a resit / gap year might be an alternative option for you to consider too if you're set on those two uni's.

I don't have any offers with lower conditions than the 3 B's Dundee are offering me . It's a great safety option as it means I can technically fail one of my 4 higher if it really came to it.
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

It's great to hear that Liverpool is your top choice!

I completely agree with @Kogomogo about still putting Liverpool as your firm, and Dundee as your insurance - as if you do not firm Liverpool and turns out that you actually got the grades, it saves you from going through clearing and trying to re-apply (that is, if your chosen course does go into clearing).

If you have any queries, don't hesitate getting into contact with our admissions team for further guidance. They're all super friendly and might be a big help! Here's the number if you need: +44 (0) 151 794 8591.

Hopefully that's helpful.

Thank you ,
I think I will still be firming as I'd be so angry with myself If I did make the grades after deciding not too.
Thank you ,
I think I will still be firming as I'd be so angry with myself If I did make the grades after deciding not too.

Amazing - best of luck to you! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending