The Student Room Group

What is student life like in London? (KCL)

I've heard that student life isn't great and there aren't many parties, as well as the fact that it's quite lonely compared to Exeter (my other choice)?
I have heard the same thing. I had an unconditional offer from KCL for a masters programme, but decided to go for U of Edinburgh instead, partially because it is known to be a great student city.

I feel like this is the case for most big-city universities; they tend to be more lonely than the ones in smaller cities, where there is a more tight-knit community. A lot of people tend to struggle with mental health as a result of it, and I think that due to COVID it is even harder.

However, it is kind of what you make it into. I talked to some current students through unibuddy, and they told me that if you put in an effort you can definitely get some sense of a student community. Joining student organizations seems to be the #1 way of making friends, and there is certainly a sense of community within those organizations. It is probably different than universities like Exeter though, where people tend to hang out and have parties with their fellow students. I have heard that in London it is more about getting a friend group and then just going out clubbing/to pubs with them and meeting people from all over, rather than having university parties with people from your uni. I went to a university in another big city, and people were definitely more spread out than at universities in smaller cities/towns. Most of my friends were just people I met in the city, rather than students from my university. I think it is an individual experience though, but generally speaking this is the case. It also depends on where you live; if you live in a student hall with roommates you are more likely to get a sense of student life and community than if you were to live in private accommodation. If you are one of those people who are super involved (living in student halls, part of student organizations, like to work events, etc) I think you can get a bigger sense of the student life there, but most people arent like that. But you definitely have to put in more of an effort to experience it, versus if you were to go to a university like Exeter.
Original post by pineapplemango
I have heard the same thing. I had an unconditional offer from KCL for a masters programme, but decided to go for U of Edinburgh instead, partially because it is known to be a great student city.

I feel like this is the case for most big-city universities; they tend to be more lonely than the ones in smaller cities, where there is a more tight-knit community. A lot of people tend to struggle with mental health as a result of it, and I think that due to COVID it is even harder.

However, it is kind of what you make it into. I talked to some current students through unibuddy, and they told me that if you put in an effort you can definitely get some sense of a student community. Joining student organizations seems to be the #1 way of making friends, and there is certainly a sense of community within those organizations. It is probably different than universities like Exeter though, where people tend to hang out and have parties with their fellow students. I have heard that in London it is more about getting a friend group and then just going out clubbing/to pubs with them and meeting people from all over, rather than having university parties with people from your uni. I went to a university in another big city, and people were definitely more spread out than at universities in smaller cities/towns. Most of my friends were just people I met in the city, rather than students from my university. I think it is an individual experience though, but generally speaking this is the case. It also depends on where you live; if you live in a student hall with roommates you are more likely to get a sense of student life and community than if you were to live in private accommodation. If you are one of those people who are super involved (living in student halls, part of student organizations, like to work events, etc) I think you can get a bigger sense of the student life there, but most people arent like that. But you definitely have to put in more of an effort to experience it, versus if you were to go to a university like Exeter.

Thank you so much, I totally agree and I'll take that into consideration! (I'm Anon btw, I didn't mean to put it into anon!)
Original post by chloenix
Thank you so much, I totally agree and I'll take that into consideration! (I'm Anon btw, I didn't mean to put it into anon!)

You are very welcome! :smile: Good luck with choosing! (No worries, haha! :smile: )
Dunno about KCL specifically but London is great for nightlife and there's always something going on at UCL in terms of parties and social events... I guess it comes down to how much you can spend in terms of effort and importantly, money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending