The Student Room Group

Queries about a-levels to study Architecture

Most unis don’t have any required subjects in order to study architecture at uni. I was wondering if taking maths and physics would be beneficial in order to take the degree? Unfortunately, I haven’t taken art at GCSE but would I have to take it at a-level so I wouldn’t be at a disadvantage and in order to have a ‘portfolio’?
Original post by Hsianbdmsl
Most unis don’t have any required subjects in order to study architecture at uni. I was wondering if taking maths and physics would be beneficial in order to take the degree? Unfortunately, I haven’t taken art at GCSE but would I have to take it at a-level so I wouldn’t be at a disadvantage and in order to have a ‘portfolio’?

Take the subjects you enjoy and think you’ll do best in. Your grades will limit your choice more than your subjects.

Taking Art or a design subject is helpful for putting together a portfolio but you’ll need work from outside your studies too for a portfolio so make sure you don’t overload yourself with your chosen subjects
Hi @Hsianbdmsl,
I'm speaking from my experience making an Architecture application this year, and having firmed the Bartlett. I am studying Maths, Art, and Economics. What is important to note about Universities for Architecture is that each one has a very different ethos in terms of what they are looking for [a-levels they require], thus influencing the type of work that you are inclined to produce.

For example, UCL/AA/Central Saint Martins are more conceptual/radical in their methodology, so Art A-level is highly recommended for a competitive application. In contrast, Bath is more engineering/technical and grounded [you actively work with engineering students on projects/integrated experience on the course as well], so Physics and Maths would give you a competitive application. Cambridge takes Architecture from a more historical perspective, so an essay-based subject such as History of Art/Humanities/English Literature would put you at an advantage. Then there are more well-rounded universities such as Cardiff [grounded creativity/environmental footprint], Sheffield [great employment opportunities], and so forth.

Therefore, once you have figured out what drives you to study Architecture and the ethos you are most aligned with I would check the subject requirements for the unis you are interested in. Art A-level is only important for the construction of your University portfolio, allowing you to generate Artwork that is to a high standard. If you can successfully manage your time whilst doing a-levels you enjoy and produce a well-developed portfolio that highlights your individuality/ interests/what inspired you/how you experience the world around you/using a range of mediums/thinking three-dimensionally/ I have every confidence you will succeed and won't be disadvantaged, as you are showing high motivation even for UCL/AA/CSM which are more on the art side of the spectrum.

Of course, you should always speak to the Universities you are interested in and tell them your situation. They will be able to give you a much more in-depth response from their experience.

Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending