The Student Room Group

2 month leave from a 0 hour contract job- reasonable?

I’d like to know if it’s reasonable or not to ask for a 2 month leave from my 0 hour contract job due to mental health reasons and a few physical ailments that need taking care of.

I work 5 days a week in this small catering business, small, local, quite unprofessional compared to other places. Fairly casual if you know the type. My hours average to about 19 a week, I work that over 5 days and get paid 6.56. Getting paid the amount I do every fortnight just doesn’t seem worth it at all considering the emotional and mental effect it has on me.

I want to spend the 2 months bettering myself. Working on my mental illnesses, coping with them healthily and just getting my life on track. Hopefully even deciding what I want to do as a career. I’m 19 and don’t want to live like this. I could quit but I’ve gotten used to the job and the people I’m with. On the good days, I love the job.

Is this something I can do, is it okay to do?
Unlikely that they will allow for this -they won’t be able to hire someone to cover your shifts for two months just to fire them when you are ready to come back. It wouldn’t be fair to them or the employee.

Plus depending on the company you may find that your contract/training will lapse in that timeframe (if you do health and safety/food hygiene etc) and they would then need to reinvest that training when you came back.

You can ask of course but be prepared for them to say no. Or say that they can’t guarantee that your job will be there when you come back.
What else do you do that you only work 19hours a week? What would you do extra with that 19hours that you can’t be doing whilst working?
Original post by GabiAbi84
Unlikely that they will allow for this -they won’t be able to hire someone to cover your shifts for two months just to fire them when you are ready to come back. It wouldn’t be fair to them or the employee.

Plus depending on the company you may find that your contract/training will lapse in that timeframe (if you do health and safety/food hygiene etc) and they would then need to reinvest that training when you came back.

You can ask of course but be prepared for them to say no. Or say that they can’t guarantee that your job will be there when you come back.
What else do you do that you only work 19hours a week? What would you do extra with that 19hours that you can’t be doing whilst working?

My boss is thinking of getting someone new as it is to mainly cover people when they’re off and to work mainly the clean up part of the shift. He wouldn’t hire someone just to fire them. It’s a very informal place to work. It has its advantages and disadvantages. I have a level 3 food hygiene training that stands separate to me working there as I have 4 years experience.

My hours can vary from 15 hours a week to 30. It’s very unpredictable. But even when they’re low, I do very little else because I’m just drained. I can’t explain it. I’m still there 5 days a week, could be any day of the week. I spend my days off alone, not speaking to anyone bc I’m just done with interacting and terrified I’m going to be called in (I’m always called in, most often than not I’m not needed). I just want to be free from that. Even just for a little bit while I get myself sorted. I feel like I’m on a continuous loop of my life not going anywhere

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending