The Student Room Group

18-25 year old heterosexual men, gather round

There are two components of uni life on your mind right now: the social and the academic. I'm gonna hit y'all with some knowledge here.

The Academic

- Do you really like what you're studying? Really though? If you do, good! If you're hoping it'll grow on you... meh. Maybe it will. Really think about your skillset. Accounting or physics? Psychology or economics? What do you want to be and where do you think you'll thrive? It's okay to flunk a year and start up again in a subject you like more. Give it some thought.

- Do you know how to study? Really though? How long does it take you to amass the necessary literature: the books, the journals, the news articles? How long will it take you to read through them and reference them? How long will it take you to weave a nice narrative, describing, evidencing, and explaining your reasoning?

The answer is 6-7 weeks. Never mind your lecturer. Get the essay topic and start yesterday and you'll be able to cruise at a luxuriously comfortable pace.

P = Point: start your paragraph with a clear topic sentence that establishes what your paragraph is going to be about. Your point should support your essay argument or thesis statement.
E = Evidence/Example: here you should use a piece of evidence or an example that helps to reaffirm your initial point and develop the argument.
E = Explain: next you need to explain exactly how your evidence/example supports your point, giving further information to ensure that your reader understands its relevance.
L = Link: to finish the paragraph off, you need to link the point you’ve just made back to your essay question, topic, or thesis.

The Social

You're going to consider drinking a lot of alcohol. Meh. It's not cool. You don't need to do that. Have a signature drink, beer, a gin or whiskey, and try to stick with it. Being drunk isn't attractive.

You're probably noticing the ladies and want to date them. That's cool. But don't be overly familiar or weird. Don't gush and say too much. Don't be sullen and quiet. Introduce yourself in a manner that fits the situation and discuss normal things.

I remember a dude walked up behind a girl and tickled her and they were not on those terms at all. Urgh. No. Don't be that guy. It was so awful as she shut him down so hard.

The best advice is to watch Charisma on Command on YouTube and listen well. They are the highest authority for young men on how to come across well.

I highly recommend Bumble and not being so phased by rejection. Try to frame things so you're not setting yourself up for hard rejections. For example, don't approach a girl you've never interacted with and scream, "OMG, you're so hot. Do you wanna go out?!". Instead, say, "hi Michelle, you smashed that presentation. A couple of us are gonna grab a bite at the cafeteria, care to tag along?". Take the romance out of your schema.

Remember, the ladies are just as awkward as you. It wasn't until 8 years after uni I learned a girl that I thought hated me was crushing on me. We ended up having sex in that uni to commemorate our time there. It didn't work out but that's not what this is about.

This is about you learning to become men and not letting things get to you. We all make embarrassing mistakes whether they're academic or social. You'll experience a lot of stuff. But remember, it's fine. I speak from experience. Don't force anything or give too much credence to apparent expectations. Discover who you are and love yourself.

I hope this helps someone. I know it might sound a bit condescending to some but it's really a little letter to my past self.
This is great advice! I feel like it applies very well to non-heterosexual people too, if you change the genders of some of the people you mention.
Reply 2
What was the point of this lol?
couldn't this also apply to non-heterosexual young men (just switch out genders)?
Reply 4
Original post by gtty123
What was the point of this lol?

There's a lot of people looking for dating advice, which I found a bit surprising as I never knew such things were discussed here. But they are. A lot. So I addressed them. I also added some academic advice. This thread is University Life. So, the point is supplying information that'll help guide university life. LOL.
GG man :yy:
Volunteer Note: Please please please do not reply to troll posts. Simply ignore them and report them instead. This makes removing them and cleaning up threads much easier. Thank you for your understanding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending