The Student Room Group

How to hide a D on CV

So I got a D in my exams last year in college after trying to resit maths for the 9th time and although I keep trying to forget about it as it made me feel awful as I just cannot grasp numbers or shapes very well, it keeps coming back to haunt me and I feel that when I finish University I wont be able to get a job as a journalist because of it.

Should I be worried about it as I have good grades in my A level equivalents and have 5 GCSE/BTECs at a pass mark? If not how can I hide it on a CV?

Also I was meant to have passed last year but now I always put down my predicted grade (which was a pass) as I was told I had passed but never got a certificate but have a folder on my pc of emails from my teacher saying I had passed.
Most jobs will not ask for a uni transcript only the overall classification except maybe certain internships and big companies, but even the ones that ask for it they won’t analyse every detail of your transcript. They maybe glance at it for 2 seconds or not even look at it and focus on your CV (which you do not need to mention it in at all in your CV). If you think about it they’ll probably have hundreds of applicants so they won’t spend ages analysing everyone’s transcripts.
Also a subject like maths I would think is not super important in journalism, it’s not like you’re applying to be a rocket scientist. Maybe some basic maths, but like you say if you have GCSE or a level maths that should be plenty for journalism.
What matters most is your cover letter and Cv I’d say. You don’t have to mention anything you don’t want to in a Cv. Just make sure you have a strong Cv stating all your good skills, why you want the job and what you think you could bring to the company etc...

Also I’m not entirely sure what you mean by you were meant to have passed... do you mean you were meant to have passed maths? Passed the year? How much this matters would depend on your uni. Is passing this subject important for you progressing to next year? At my uni I failed one module in 1st year but it didn’t matter as I had enough credits. Whereas my friend also failed a module but did not have enough credits so had to resist 1st year. So you may want to check with your teacher/ supervisor about that to make sure everything is on track.
Reply 2
Original post by Student_222
Most jobs will not ask for a uni transcript only the overall classification except maybe certain internships and big companies, but even the ones that ask for it they won’t analyse every detail of your transcript. They maybe glance at it for 2 seconds or not even look at it and focus on your CV (which you do not need to mention it in at all in your CV). If you think about it they’ll probably have hundreds of applicants so they won’t spend ages analysing everyone’s transcripts.
Also a subject like maths I would think is not super important in journalism, it’s not like you’re applying to be a rocket scientist. Maybe some basic maths, but like you say if you have GCSE or a level maths that should be plenty for journalism.
What matters most is your cover letter and Cv I’d say. You don’t have to mention anything you don’t want to in a Cv. Just make sure you have a strong Cv stating all your good skills, why you want the job and what you think you could bring to the company etc...

Also I’m not entirely sure what you mean by you were meant to have passed... do you mean you were meant to have passed maths? Passed the year? How much this matters would depend on your uni. Is passing this subject important for you progressing to next year? At my uni I failed one module in 1st year but it didn’t matter as I had enough credits. Whereas my friend also failed a module but did not have enough credits so had to resist 1st year. So you may want to check with your teacher/ supervisor about that to make sure everything is on track.

Sorry for the confusion I meant I never passed Maths in college as didnt get to resit it a final time due to covid so they said we could use our predicted grades.
its a gcse - you don't need it on your cv if you have a levels and a degree. i only put mine on there because i want my school achievements listed but journalism probably doesn't care because most of the skills and experience you need for that are somewhat extracurricular

the only thing you have to consider is applying to university without the certificate, because your teachers/referee needs to sign off on whatever grade you put on the application form
Well you can not put it on, but of course people who filter CVs arent stupid so if you say 5 - GCSE including English, they will probably realise their is a reason you didn't say English & mathematics.

But thats about all you can do.
I see in that case I’d just leave it out, they probably won’t even notice to be honest they won’t count the total number of GCSEs maybe a quick glance at the grades and a D may draw their attention- though as I say I’m not sure putting it in will make much difference in journalism. D in GCSE maths is highly unlikely to be the difference as to whether you get a job or not. I read somewhere that employers spend 7 seconds looking at a CV on average. So work on other things like presentation and good statement etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending