The Student Room Group

why does everyone call you selfish for venting?

they invalidate your feelings and induce self hatred, and then people wonder why you did what you did to yourself?
I’m sorry you feel that way, I think if people do that to you when you vent, you perhaps aren’t venting to the right people. If you want to make sure you are talking to someone who can help, perhaps try a crisis line, that’s what they’re there for:
Childline: 0800 1111
Samaritans: 116 123
Shout: text SHOUT to 85258
Or if you don’t feel comfortable doing that you can always vent on here, there are plenty of people who can listen and try to help you feel better and understood. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anon346775
they invalidate your feelings and induce self hatred, and then people wonder why you did what you did to yourself?

There is nothing wrong with venting but it depends who you are offloading onto. If it is random strangers on an online forum then you kind of deserve what you get. No one likes a moaner. That said, if it is a close friend or family member then hopefully they will listen and help you.
Original post by heldbygrace
I’m sorry you feel that way, I think if people do that to you when you vent, you perhaps aren’t venting to the right people. If you want to make sure you are talking to someone who can help, perhaps try a crisis line, that’s what they’re there for:
Childline: 0800 1111
Samaritans: 116 123
Shout: text SHOUT to 85258
Or if you don’t feel comfortable doing that you can always vent on here, there are plenty of people who can listen and try to help you feel better and understood. :smile:

guess what im going to see well being next week about my mental health:smile:
Original post by Wise Goldie
guess what im going to see well being next week about my mental health:smile:

Yes Goldie!!! :woo: I’m so happy for you, I hope they are able to help you. Update me on how it goes if you would like :yep:
Original post by heldbygrace
Yes Goldie!!! :woo: I’m so happy for you, I hope they are able to help you. Update me on how it goes if you would like :yep:

i will thank you miriam:biggrin:

also how are you today:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anon346775

Yeah I know. That’s why I just keep my thoughts to myself and avoid venting because it makes me feel worse than before. The fact is some people just don’t care and don’t want to listen. Some people may think youre exaggerating your problems or that youre not the one person in the world with problems. It’s toxic behaviour and the other people should be more sensitive but they aren’t. I think what happens me with I’m really annoyed and need a vent, is to start journaling and writing down your thoughts. There is no one there to judge in this way, and you can feel less anxious when you feel like you’ve written your thoughts down.
Reply 7
If you are putting it all onto the same person without concern for their mental health then it might be perceived as selfish even though you don't mean it that way
Original post by hotpud
There is nothing wrong with venting but it depends who you are offloading onto. If it is random strangers on an online forum then you kind of deserve what you get. No one likes a moaner. That said, if it is a close friend or family member then hopefully they will listen and help you.

I don’t think that’s true. Online, you can just navigate away if you don’t like hearing what someone’s telling you about. That doesn’t mean anyone ’’deserves what they get’’.
Reply 9
Because it is selfish. Completely selfish. You are doing so to make yourself feel better, and/or get someone to fix something for you. You do it for your own gain, and whoever you're venting to gains nothing.

Whether it's bad selfish, or so necessary to do that it doesn't matter if it's selfish or not is another matter. But it's definitely selfsih.
Reply 10
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I don’t think that’s true. Online, you can just navigate away if you don’t like hearing what someone’s telling you about. That doesn’t mean anyone ’’deserves what they get’’.

Agreed. But if you are feeling low and vulnerable, putting yourself open to criticism on a public forum is opening yourself up to abuse. I am not saying it is right that it happens, just that it does happen so don't do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending