The Student Room Group

I think i want to change degrees (need advice)

orginally applied for marketing.why? 1) good pay 2)easy degree as not much coursework 3) can still be ethical as u can use marketing to promote good brands 4) freedom as u can travel
but deep down i know corporate life probably isn't for me, i mean i think i could do really well in the marketing sector BUT in terms of it being fulfilling emotionally i don't think it makes the cut whereas going into psychology will (I've been in therapy for years and idk i feel like i could do a lot of good) but whats holding me back is the feeling that im not smart enough. its more exams that marketing and requires an extra 3+ years of post grad. in practice i have a wide range of skills, im good in the real world, but when it comes to exams im crap (mental illness and dyslexia). so im not sure if i should change to psychology or not? it is more effort, harder, more time consuming but then again, lifes gonna be hard and i might aswell choose something that i truly belive i could help the world with
Just to clarify, have you accepted offers for marketing?

A few quick points:
- No degree is easy. This is three years of your life.
- Becoming a clinical psych is very very competitive, and lots of psychology courses are also very competitive to get into. Not putting you off, just stating facts.
- Psychology degrees are generally regulated by the BPS, this means that regardless of the universities
- Universities are very good at advertising their marketing and business degrees (shockingly) but as these are less regulated and approved than psychology you will find more varied courses on offer from each university you have applied to

I hope these points help your reflections somewhat. :smile:
I'm a psychology undergrad: a lot of it involves essay-writing so if you have taken English or another essay-based subject at A-level/equivalent it will help. There is also a fair amount of stats - if you haven't taken maths A-level I would recommend a revision guide for stats in the social sciences (i.e. https://www.pearson.com/uk/educators/higher-education-educators/program/Steele-Psychology-Express-Statistics-in-Psychology-Undergraduate-Revision-Guide/PGM1008936.html). A-level psychology isn't the best preparation for degree-level study imo; I know people on my course who did extremely well at A-level and struggled at degree level and others who came from unrelated backgrounds and did well.

To work as a psychologist, you will need either an undergraduate degree or conversion course in psychology that is accredited by the BPS (most psych degrees are but it's worth checking before applying). Obviously clinical psychology is incredibly competitive and usually involves at least 2 years of work experience before getting onto a doctorate (probably as an assistant psychologist) but there are other related paths you could take such as educational consulting and the charity sector. You could also do stuff like youth work (would require a level 2/3 certificate if you can join a course locally) to build relevant work experience after graduating. Also, bear in mind a lot of jobs only look for 'a degree', and it would be possible to work in marketing with a psychology degree.

Hope this helps!
Don't choose a degree that will lead to a career/lifestyle you know won't completely make you happy
Reply 4
What stage are you at now? Are you applying for university? You sound very naive about each course and career path. Could you take a year or two out to get some real world experience, do some research and find out what you best options are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending