The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ronaldo91
Hi
What do you think my chances are of getting an offer despite getting a U in Economics at AS and not doing further mathematics?
AS grades: AABU (maths,biology,chemistry,economics)
A level prediction: AAB (dropped chemistry)
GCSES: 6A*4A (Maths A* year early)

Any help appreciated...

although i am not an expert, i would say relatively remote :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Again, not an expert, but I've heard anything economics related at LSE is extremely competitive. I would guess most candidates would have Further Maths and AAAA/AAAB at AS. So I would say very slim. Unless you had mitigating circumstances which caused your U in Economics and your school doesn't offer further maths.
Reply 3
LSE economics is highly competitive, as suggested by its full name, London School of Economics.

Not much chance I'm afraid, then again this is pure speculation on my part.
You aren't predicted AAA, which is enough of a problem anyway, and a U in Economics - well, there's no chance to be blunt.

You'll be better off looking at other Universities which ask for AAB/ABB and are realistically in reach, and then get the Economics up to that, rather than worry about there.

I'd also make an unqualified suggestion to - as you got a U in Economics - just apply for a straight Maths degree course, unless you really love Economics. After all, having got the A* in Maths a year early, you'd be playing to strengths you clearly have. I still wouldn't suggest LSE for that, though.
Reply 5
with a u in economics as, chances are slim to none:frown: - what happened exactly? you are predicted a b now, so just a bad set of exams? even the predicted B however will lower your chances.
Reply 6
Juustuburger
You aren't predicted AAA, which is enough of a problem anyway, and a U in Economics - well, there's no chance to be blunt.

You'll be better off looking at other Universities which ask for AAB/ABB and are realistically in reach, and then get the Economics up to that, rather than worry about there.

I'd also make an unqualified suggestion to - as you got a U in Economics - just apply for a straight Maths degree course, unless you really love Economics. After all, having got the A* in Maths a year early, you'd be playing to strengths you clearly have. I still wouldn't suggest LSE for that, though.

i got all A's at AS.. however, when filling the ucas i had to put module grades... and i put B,B,A for the three modules for computing, but i still got an A.. how will lse/ucl know that i got an A at AS?
TSR King
i got all A's at AS.. however, when filling the ucas i had to put module grades... and i put B,B,A for the three modules for computing, but i still got an A.. how will lse/ucl know that i got an A at AS?

I'm not sure, but I think they look into it to confirm your grades, don't they? So they'd find out then.

If it was really a problem you could ask that it be mentioned briefly in your reference, i.e. "Student achieved straight A's at AS level", or just in your Computing statement.
Reply 8
Juustuburger
I'm not sure, but I think they look into it to confirm your grades, don't they? So they'd find out then.

If it was really a problem you could ask that it be mentioned briefly in your reference, i.e. "Student achieved straight A's at AS level", or just in your Computing statement.

that makes sense i suppose.

bit late for that

thanks anyway.
Right this pisses me off, you got a U in economics and you're predicted an A or even a B ffs?
Reply 10
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Right this pisses me off, you got a U in economics and you're predicted an A or even a B ffs?

lol.. why? whats your situation?
TSR King

I think they got rejected from all five of their choices the other day.

However, yes, it's an odd prediction, particularly as in their duplicate thread Ronaldo91 says:

thanks for your input ppl. this is not looking good
i don't have any excuses for this **** up.

i do genuinly (sp?) love economics and contribute the most in class... its just my examination technique is piss poor

Makes me wonder where the four grade improvement will come from.
Reply 12
Juustuburger

However, yes, it's an odd prediction, particularly as in their duplicate thread Ronaldo91 says:

uni's have started rejecting already?

do you know what uni's?
TSR King
uni's have started rejecting already?

do you know what uni's?

All of them, really. Offers and rejections have already started - Manchester's made a lot of offers, for example.

I'm not sure where is rejecting lots of applicants, but there's a thread in this forum called the "Rejections thread". I suspect any University that's acknowledging applications is rejecting the ones that are miles off consideration (like the eejits who apply to Cambridge "for the craic" with CCD).
Juustuburger

haha nah i was just pissing about with the five rejections
TSR King

its not really my situation well it was and i'll explain. As levels i got AAAB (few marks off A) and i was predicted A B B at first and i suspect that loads of kids aroudn the country have got the same predictions as me which is really unfair seeing as we've worked hard for those grades only to have it thrown back in our faces tbh whereas some people who get **** grades whether its from not trying or just a general lack of ability get predicted alot higher than they actually do. I have now been moved to AAA after a ******* load of complaining lol but i know there are still lots of kids like me who have been predicted harsh and all there hard work has just gone to **** basically. IMO predicted grades system should just be removed altogether
Reply 16
its not really my situation well it was and i'll explain. As levels i got AAAB (few marks off A) and i was predicted A B B at first and i suspect that loads of kids aroudn the country have got the same predictions as me which is really unfair seeing as we've worked hard for those grades only to have it thrown back in our faces tbh whereas some people who get **** grades whether its from not trying or just a general lack of ability get predicted alot higher than they actually do. I have now been moved to AAA after a ******* load of complaining lol but i know there are still lots of kids like me who have been predicted harsh and all there hard work has just gone to **** basically

this maybe because many teachers, choose the predicted grade in july before the results.. for example, i was predicted B in computing, but after getting an A at AS, it was changed to A.

also, many schools put fake predictions.. i.e. my mate got ABCE, but is predicted AAA, eventhough he knows hes never gunna get that, and even the head of year said they put that just so he gets offers.
TSR King
this maybe because many teachers, choose the predicted grade in july before the results.. for example, i was predicted B in computing, but after getting an A at AS, it was changed to A.

also, many schools put fake predictions.. i.e. my mate got ABCE, but is predicted AAA, eventhough he knows hes never gunna get that, and even the head of year said they put that just so he gets offers.

about that july thing i don't think they do because my teacher made mine after results and i had to complain like a bitch to get them changed

yea but that's the whole problem which makes everything unfair. Think about it this way:
in a situation where we only do one A level, the subject we're doing at uni
you're mate got an E and is predicted an A
you got an A and are predicted a B
Uni has one place left between you or him
Uni picks him, he doesn't get the grade place wasted.............
yea i know they take other things into consideration but grades are a big big part of the application otherwise the uni may as well not have entry requirements
Reply 18
about that july thing i don't think they do because my teacher made mine after results and i had to complain like a bitch to get them changed

yea but that's the whole problem which makes everything unfair. Think about it this way:
in a situation where we only do one A level, the subject we're doing at uni
you're mate got an E and is predicted an A
you got an A and are predicted a B
Uni has one place left between you or him
Uni picks him, he doesn't get the grade place wasted.............
yea i know they take other things into consideration but grades are a big big part of the application otherwise the uni may as well not have entry requirements

i know what you mean..

where and what did you apply to?
TSR King
i know what you mean..

where and what did you apply to?

economics bath birmingham bristol warwick york

Latest

Trending

Trending