The Student Room Group

How many ‘safety’ unis did you apply to?

Hi! I’m predicted A*A*A*A at A-level and I’m currently looking at my top 5 choices to apply to next year. A lot of places, including school seem to suggest 1 or 2 safety unis to have as your insurance - so I’ve been looking around the AAB/ABB range, however I’m realising most of these unis are going to have places in clearing anyway, so isn’t it just worth having an AAA uni as an insurance?

I don’t really have any family to ask who know about uni applications so please let me know if you picked some ‘safety’ unis and if you did how many! And is this a good decision? Most places seem to suggest applying to a uni or two above your predicted grades - which isn’t quite relevant so I don’t know if 5 A*A*A/A*AA/AAA unis would really be that bad of a decision?

However, obviously going through clearing isn’t a fun experience, especially since being so late means you might not get accommodation - but do you still get accommodation if you put it as an insurance? You can see how little I know here!

I’m also considering leaving off a uni with A*AA requirement that I really like as it always comes up in clearing for my course, and my idea is if I missed AAA or something like that I could hopefully get in there through clearing - but that’s a whole other topic!

Thanks!
Original post by silverflowers
Hi! I’m predicted A*A*A*A at A-level and I’m currently looking at my top 5 choices to apply to next year. A lot of places, including school seem to suggest 1 or 2 safety unis to have as your insurance - so I’ve been looking around the AAB/ABB range, however I’m realising most of these unis are going to have places in clearing anyway, so isn’t it just worth having an AAA uni as an insurance?

I don’t really have any family to ask who know about uni applications so please let me know if you picked some ‘safety’ unis and if you did how many! And is this a good decision? Most places seem to suggest applying to a uni or two above your predicted grades - which isn’t quite relevant so I don’t know if 5 A*A*A/A*AA/AAA unis would really be that bad of a decision?

However, obviously going through clearing isn’t a fun experience, especially since being so late means you might not get accommodation - but do you still get accommodation if you put it as an insurance? You can see how little I know here!

I’m also considering leaving off a uni with A*AA requirement that I really like as it always comes up in clearing for my course, and my idea is if I missed AAA or something like that I could hopefully get in there through clearing - but that’s a whole other topic!

Thanks!

Hi!

I, personally, had 4 "backup" choices as I already knew the one course I wanted. All of the others from that point were just in case I didn't manage to get in there. If there are 5 universities you definitely want it is certainly worth applying to those, even if they wouldn't be considered safety options. Other than that, I think it's a good idea to apply to other universities based on what they offer (specifics of the course, location of study, chances for work experience etc). These won't necessarily be the ones with the highest or lowest entry requirements, so you might end up finding a university you like that would also qualify as a safety. A lot of unis will have open days (for example, at Strathclyde we have been holding virtual open days this whole academic year) and they're a good way to see what kind of unique offerings different schools have.

As for going through clearing and getting accommodation, it is entirely variable based on the university. Different schools will have different amounts of university-owned student accommodation, and different allocations but this usually includes space reserved for clearing entrants. Obviously getting a place on this depends on how many other places are taken and when you go through clearing, but at most universities there is space made available at clearing time so you needn't worry about that for now. Additionally, it is university-specific as to whether the insurance university will allow you to apply for accommodation. Some do, but some will only let you if they're your firm choice.

Unfortunately the tl;dr is it depends on the university. It is worth emailing the ones you're applying to so you can tactically plan your applications.

Good luck with your applications and A-levels when they come! If you want me to clear anything I've said up, just let me know. I realise I've sort of wandered there.

Cameron
Student Ambassador
Original post by silverflowers

Thanks!

i picked 1 and wouldn't recommend going much above that. generally, except the top top unis/courses, unis will give you an offer if you meet the minimum requirements and they believe it's possible/likely you will achieve the required grades.
Reply 3
What course? That makes a huge difference.
I applied for Biochemistry in October. My predicted grades are A*A*A and the uni with the lowest entry requirements I applied to was AAB. The rest were AAA-A*A*A (from what I can remember) but I wouldn't recommend searching for unis by entry requirements. Instead, find unis that have a course that you like (look at the individual modules including optional modules), have a nice feel to them (location, community, societies), have good teaching and facilities etc. Then check the entry requirements. With your predicted grades though, I wouldn't really worry about entry requirements that much if you're fairly confident that you can achieve those tbh. Good luck :smile:
I was wondering similar. I really like the look of oxford, imperial and warwick for maths, but they're ridiculously competitive, and the likelihood is I would get a rejection from all 3, despite having the required predictions, because well, everyone applying there has the required predictions.

My mum seems to think I don't really need to apply to a 'safety' uni, but I don't really want to end up with no offers and have to go through extra or clearing lmao
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by heccyeah
I was wondering similar. I really like the look of oxford, imperial and warwick for maths, but they're ridiculously competitive, and the likelihood is I would get a rejection from all 3, despite having the required predictions, because well, everyone applying there has the required predictions.

My mum seems to think I don't really need to apply to a 'safety' uni, but I don't really want to end up with no offers and have to go through extra or clearing lmao

I think you should check for Warwick. Before Covid I think most applicants for maths got offers. The issue could be that the offers you get are very high (STEP grades for example).
I initially only applied to three unis via UCAS in 2006 (all of them unis I felt I wanted to go to): Oxford, Manchester, and KCL. KCL took forever to make a decision (only made me an offer in February). I got very antsy about whether they'd make me an offer or not (Manchester required same grades as Oxford, so no point insuring them even though I liked their course), so I added two safety choices to my application later on: Southampton and Royal Holloway, in my case, which had comparatively lower entry requirements.

I think having safety unis on your UCAS form (without leaving things to Clearing) is important! I'd have personally found leaving things to chance/for Cleaing way too stressful for my nerves!!! That said, if you really would hate going somewhere, there's no point putting it on your UCAS form as a safety option, imho :nah: So one has to weigh all this up carefully! :moon:

Regarding accommodation, my understanding was (especially as I missed my grades on results day!) that KCL would have offered me accommodation but (due to living in London anyway) I'd have been bottom priority to accommodate :yes:
Original post by ajj2000
I think you should check for Warwick. Before Covid I think most applicants for maths got offers. The issue could be that the offers you get are very high (STEP grades for example).

Oh damn really? I was under the impression that it wasn't as competitive as the likes of Imperial & Oxford and that, but still very, very much so. I didn't realise they gave out so many offers (even if they are really high).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
I mean, I guess you could say Kent was a backup for me because I didn’t really want to go. I just applied because I wanted to use up all 5 spots.

However, I think all of my choices were a bargain. St Andrews, Glasgow, and Edinburgh are all top Scottish unis that are pretty hard to get into, Leeds had very high entry requirements, and Kent gave offers to Scottish students on an individual basis- so I had no clue what they would actually want from me.
Original post by heccyeah
Oh damn really? I was under the impression that it wasn't as competitive as the likes of Imperial, but still very, very much so. I didn't realise they gave out so many offers (even if they are really high).

I'd check but when I knew of such things a few years ago that was the case. Not sure about Imperial for maths - again its worth checking. Difficult to base things on the last couple of years as the number of people getting higher grades was so much higher and universities ended up with more people making offers than expected.
Original post by ajj2000
I'd check but when I knew of such things a few years ago that was the case. Not sure about Imperial for maths - again its worth checking. Difficult to base things on the last couple of years as the number of people getting higher grades was so much higher and universities ended up with more people making offers than expected.

Yeah that is true, covid's kinda messed with everything, but I'll try and check, thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending