The Student Room Group

Med School Application

I am re-applying into med school after not getting in this year. I have found some volunteering and work experience but I was wondering if it was beneficial to have a job as a HCA or something in primary care to boost my application. The thing is it is awfully difficult to find a job like that at the moment (even as a pharmacy assistant) due to COVID, which I think is astonishing since there has been an outcry for occupations to be filled in at the moment. Anyways, I need some advice!!
Hey everyone,

I would like to re-apply to Medical School this September. What type of jobs would show the necessary skills to become a doctor? And before you say Healthcare Assistant or Support Worker, I have tried and no one wants to employ me :smile:
Do you mean you're struggling to find jobs like that, or you have applied and haven't had any luck? If the latter, it sounds like you may need to tweak your application/supporting statement. If the former, are you looking for work beyond the NHS too? There is lots of work available through care homes, care agencies, and charities/third sector providers, and some disabled people advertise for their own support staff directly.
Hey, please don't make multiple threads, you can bump one after 24hrs if you're not getting replies :smile:

Any job can show the requisite skills for medicine, have a look here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6929328
I managed to get a small number of days observing in a hospital - literally 3. But I did sports coaching and worked in a bar/restaurant during my A levels and my job gave me loads of transferable skills and examples to bring out at interview - for demonstrating communication skills, being a team player, training new staff, conflict resolution, working with the public, being reliable etc etc etc. There are loads of hospitality jobs going in many areas over the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending