The Student Room Group

Student Finance Amount is less than half of "quoted"

Hi all, I have finally had my amount back from student finance England and it is half the quotesd the amount, meaning I can't afford accommodation let alone to feed myself, get to my course or have a uni lifestyle.

My households annual income says I'm eligible for up to £8440 reading the maintenance loan pdfs on the SFE site, and the .gov student finance calculator says I should be able to get up to £8,404, yet I have been granted £4,444. my house hold income is about £25,000 a year and I'll get very little financial support from my parents. That paired with being a late applicant missing the halls deadline means I'd have exceedingly low money, about £105 a week IF I'm doing a 42 week year, but as I'm going to have to go private accommodation if I don't get one via the waiting list that'll most likely be more like a closer to 50 week year on contract.

What can I do?

Thanks in Advance!
Note that SFE will initially assess all applicants for the minimum maintenance loan amount to make sure everyone gets something in the pipeline as soon as possible. They will then continue assessing anyone who had applied for/been eligible for higher amounts, and if they are found to be eligible they will update the amount once that process has completed.

So don't panic yet, as it may be that you're in that latter category and the rest will be added on later. I'd recommend getting in touch with them directly to confirm if they are still considering your application for the higher maintenance loan amounts just to be sure so you can make any necessary arrangements if not though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending